Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibro Tumblers

Default Vibro Tumblers

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone uses a vibro tumbler? i am producing alot of jewellery and need to polish alot more and think i need to upgrade to one. Does anyone know a supplier in the UK of them? i can only find them state side. Also what medias do you use?

Any help and advice greatly received.

Regards

Stuart

Don't know much about them Stu, But Sutton Tools and Walshes list vibrating polishers, magnetic polishers and large capacity tumblers. Sutton tools are good for advice, so you might like to phone them, explaining your requirements.

Cookson also have a range of large barreling machines, for comparison. We should all be interested in the results of your research. Regards, Dennis.

Dennis,

Thanks for your comments, unfortunately Sutton tools vibrating polisher is a small scale one and does not take steel shot, Walsh do have a bigger one however it is high priced but i guess that would be off set by the shipping costs from the US.

Kind regards

Stuart

Hey Stuart, it all depends on what you actually want to do. I personally classify mass finishing into two groups 1. the 'old school rotory/ vibro and 2. the moden centrifugal. Now having looked at your web site I see it's mainly silver and I gather you are at the moment on a budget so stick to the old school method and although the vibro is quicker than the rotory they give the same results (vibro main used for larger items) and the rotory is slower, it's cheaper. All the major suppliers supply a cut down media and are all the same as with the steel shot but remember always wash the barrel after each process or if you can use a different barrel for each process to avoid cross contamination. Just remember 1.don't use the cut down media with stone set jewellery, 2. ultrasonia the jewellery before then placing in the steel shot and try to use the stainless steel shot; when the good times come then switch over to the cenrtifugal method mainly the otec machines. My main guide would be to say that you can easily mass finish for less than £100.00, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lopez View Post
    Hey Stuart, it all depends on what you actually want to do. I personally classify mass finishing into two groups 1. the 'old school rotory/ vibro and 2. the moden centrifugal. Now having looked at your web site I see it's mainly silver and I gather you are at the moment on a budget so stick to the old school method and although the vibro is quicker than the rotory they give the same results (vibro main used for larger items) and the rotory is slower, it's cheaper. All the major suppliers supply a cut down media and are all the same as with the steel shot but remember always wash the barrel after each process or if you can use a different barrel for each process to avoid cross contamination. Just remember 1.don't use the cut down media with stone set jewellery, 2. ultrasonia the jewellery before then placing in the steel shot and try to use the stainless steel shot; when the good times come then switch over to the cenrtifugal method mainly the otec machines. My main guide would be to say that you can easily mass finish for less than £100.00, good luck.
    Hi Lopez,

Thanks for your reply, i am intrigued about the centrifugal methods i have read about them previously. What prices are these machines ranging from? We are not on to much of a budget as things are developing nicely. I cant find a price on these machines anywhere. Do you use an otec machine? I find the barrel polishing is good but only to some extent i still have to do alot of hand finishing especially at both the cutting and final polishing stages hence me considering a vibro to see if this is different.

regards

Stuart

Hey Stuart, the Otec range from around £700-20000, and I use the lower priced range; and although good these need servicing etc etc. If each process before the finished product is good the finishing is easy. Make sure the waxes are good and polish them if required, cast with good quality investment, then magnetic polish (the most impotant) if the casting are good the magnetic polishing should give a wearable product then I de sprue and buff to a 600 grit, you can then mass finish in a cut down cycle for 3-5 hrs in a rotory barrel, then in a steel shot in the rotory barrel for around 5 hrs, and quick touch on the mop before despatch. Will spending loads of money give a better finish? No. I have friends you spend £20000+ and the difference is not costumer noticible.

Thanks,

What is the difference witht the magnetic polisher and other ones such as a cut down & steel shot polish? I always ensure my wax are as good as possible, i dont want to spend a fortune but i am looking at either a vibro or a decent larger barrel machine as my cheap one needs replacing as it is unreliable & £700+ is within budget for an otec machine. Where can the Otecs be purchased or is it just direct from them? Sorry for all the questions i am just getting to a point where i want to up my level of production and not sure how to proceed.

regards

Stuart

I just found the Walsh sell Otecs. I always thought magnetic polishers were more of a final polish process rather than before cut process.

magnetic polishers burnish the areas using small steel pins, as the rotation on the magnetic 'plate' turns this changes is polarity which causes the little pins to rotate. I use this first because it can cause little dipples on large surfaces, these large areas are subsequently finished through the following processes which inturn do not reach the crevices polished by the smaller pins. Now Otec do a machine which does all three proceses with one motor at around £2500 or individually at around £700. Although Otecs aremodern etc nothing finishes silver like that of stainless steel shot in a rotory barrel. I highly recomend you buy a new one.

Lopez,

Thanks for all your advice, do you have a recommendation on a new rotary barreller?

I have looked at sutton tools site and found the following two:

http://www.suttontools.co.uk/polishi...ry-barrel.html

http://www.suttontools.co.uk/polishi...-capacity.html

I know there are cheaper barreling machines but i find as i do so much finishing the lids soon begin leaking and the machine rollers wear out.

Kind regards & thanks so much for your help

Stuart