Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August Themed Competition

My competition entry is this butterfly arm cuff. I'm very new to smithing and self learning via books & internet. This was quite a difficult project to tackle and took the best part of a week to finish. As the wire is quite thick, I had loads of problems getting the solder to flow. There basically wasn't enough heat from my little hand torch - problem was solved though by arranging the heat bricks into a little oven shape to reflect the heat back onto the peice making the solder flow beautifully. I hope one day to be as good as you guys on here =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-21 12.40.22.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	3805

ooh that's gorgeous, I love butterflies I have an idea for a butterfly ring that I'm trying to figure out how to do at the mo

That's beautifully designed and you did well to get it soldered with a small torch. What with the balling of the wires, the stone setting and the patination, its a really professional piece of work. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

lovely butterfly Keia - This is a NON-competetive summer piece, but since there was a butterfly and it is summer and just for fun, I thought I would add to the mix. )

Attachment 3810
    Last edited by Wallace; 25-08-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Thankyou for the lovely comments, that alone makes all the work worthwhile =)
    That's gorgeous Wallace, I love how everyones style on the same theme is different, it makes things really interesting. x
    Sian Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    Thankyou for the lovely comments, that alone makes all the work worthwhile =)
    That's gorgeous Wallace, I love how everyones style on the same theme is different, it makes things really interesting. x
    yup. real confidence booster, even now it is nice to get some good responses, or even constructive ways of adapting something. As I said, mine is not for the competition. And, I know this is not really the place, but I see your first post was here, so Welcome to the forum Sian.

I forgot to say that I love those earrings Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    lovely butterfly Keia - This is a NON-competetive summer piece, but since there was a butterfly and it is summer and just for fun, I thought I would add to the mix. )

Attachment 3810
    ooh I love that

thank you both ) It is my first attempt at flush setting on a flat item. I think it turned out okay

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	3817]Here is my entry, its remeniscient of childhood summers and was something I worked on whilst my dad was dying and it's a 'happy piece' and I really enjoyed making it, it has matching earrings and ring.
    My daisy chainHope the picture is here as I've not uploaded one for a while
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
    Last edited by Wendy Moriarty; 26-08-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: wrong picture

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Moriarty View Post

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	3817]Here is my entry, its remeniscient of childhood summers and was something I worked on whilst my dad was dying and it's a 'happy piece' and I really enjoyed making it, it has matching earrings and ring.
    My daisy chainHope the picture is here as I've not uploaded one for a while
    please ignore attatchment it is wrong picture