Thread: platinum casting issues!

Default platinum casting issues!

Howdy, I sought help a couple of weeks ago for an engagement ring I was making, by carving in wax and getting it cast in platinum. Well, it's just arrived back from the casters, and I've discovered it's too small. I thought it would get a little larger through the casting process, but it seems not to have changed at all, it might even be smaller!

I'm trying not to panic, since I know there will be a solution to this, I just don't know what it is yet. As I said, the ring is platinum, and this is the first time I've used it, so a bit more complicated than silver. I also don't have equipment for working in platinum, which is partly why I decided to go down the casting route. I'm happy to buy a few bits for polishing and filing, to keep exclusively for platinum though.

So. I'm hoping someone can reassure me that I haven't made a complete mess of this (the carving went very well, and I'm pleased with the design) and advise the proper way to finish a platinum casting (and make it all shiny and lovely rather than the dull finish it has now) and how to make it a tad larger without inserting more metal. It's thick enough to be able to take some material off the inside of the ring, if this is possible.

please help!

I'm not geared for working platinum either, but I've read a lot of the tech docs here - http://www.platinumguild.com/output/page8.asp