Thread: Double Sided Pendant

Default Double Sided Pendant

Hi, I have been asked to make 2 double sided pendants, with a fingerprint on one side and a hand/footprint on the other. However, I am not sure how to go about it and am going in circles trying to research sites to find out!

I THINK, I should press the prints into seperate pieces of clay, cut the clay shapes and let dry. Then stick together using paste, file the edges together smooth, perhaps fill the gap with paste, then fire? If this is how I do it then when they are fired together, might they pull in different directions and warp slightly in the kiln? If so, how do I stop this from happening.

OR maybe I roll out an extra thick piece and place it onto the handprint stamp and then press the fingerprint onto the top and then gently cut?

OR do I make the 2 pieces, file together without glueing with paste, so they are an even shape, fire seperately and then glue using oil?

OR have I totally got the wrong end of the stick and do it totally differently!

Any help gratefully recieved! Emma x

Ideally it should be one piece, so the extra thick placed on the stamp and the fingerprint pressed onto the other side would be the way to go if you can get the "fingerprinter" to do so carefully (assuming this is a child, it may not be so easy).

If this proves too difficult then two pieces made separately, dried and backs sanded as flat as possible, fired and then filed and sanded again till they fit flush............ you could then solder the two pieces together rather than joining with oil paste and refiring.

On the other hand if you want to make the two pieces and fire together, make one, dry it and sand the back smooth...... then make the other and join with paste, the second being soft will conform to the back surface of the first for a better closer fit. Once dry there should be no gaps at all and it will effectively be one piece. If there are .......... well nothing is lost as the clay can be reconstituted and you can try again.

my 2p worth is that the attraction of PMC is that it is somewhat irregular. But I'd go with Kwant's latter suggestion if you want it as a smooth finish. To reduce warping you could try turning it over part way through firing as well.