Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooray, radial discs with NO mandrel

Default Hooray, radial discs with NO mandrel

We can now get packs of six radial discs with no mandrels, I just ordered some :0) along with some other things of course.

http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...numperpage=100

Ah, Cornelius, I hate to tell you this but

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/6/1117/1340.aspx
    Di x

A word of warning to anyone not completely au fait with these: keep an old mounted one handy, to remind you which way round to mount the new ones.

I note only three colours are available separately at present. I am also very fond of pink, light green and orange(not on Cookson's list) for a top shine. You have a choice as to how many to mount at a time, for a thin or a bushy effect. Dennis.

Seems a strange choice of colours to me. And neither of them have my favourite light green. I guess it's still Fischer for those. Useful to see Cousins have the white at least though.

What grade are the orange ones? I don't have any of those!

Yes Di I had seen Cousins have them but they do very little else I need, so I would end up paying far too much postage for such little things. Now I can just add them to a normal order for sheet, wire and chain etc.

Dennis I have some of the "windowlene" coloured ones, which came I think with my foredom and I don't really know if they are coarse or mild, any ideas?

Apologies if I sound like an ignoramus here, but what does one do with these? Are they for polishing? Texturing? Something else entirely?

Sutton tools show the colours in their right order:

Yellow (coarsest),
    red (really terracotta, but they're a bit colourblind),
    blue,
    pink (Windowlene)
    orange,
    light green (finest). I haven't seen white, but I guess you get one for your confirmation.

Of course if you get a different make, such as Scotchbrite Bristle wheels, you will be totally confused by the meaning of the colours.

Lauren, if you don't know these, You haven't lived. They will finish small irregular objects to a high shine using your flex-shaft, if taken in order. That said I think you could miss out the red, pink and light green to begin with, until you have tried them out. Also I suggest that at first you buy them mounted on their mandrels.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-07-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Lauren, if you don't know these, You haven't lived. They will finish small irregular objects to a high shine using your flex-shaft, if taken in order. That said I think you could miss out the red, pink and light green to begin with, until you have tried them out. Also I suggest that at first you buy them mounted on their mandrels.
    Small irregular objects you say? That sounds like something I might find useful

Shall order some, thanks.

I've just found the full list of colours - the orange is obviously the one I call peach!

36 grit - Brown - Heavy cleaning and scale removal
    50 grit - Green - Heavy cleaning and fire scale removal
    80 grit - Yellow - Fire scale removal
    120 grit - White - Light cleaning and oxide removal
    220 grit - Red - Light cleaning and oxide removal
    400 grit - Blue - Blending and semi-finishing
    Pumice - Pink - Semi-finishing and pre-polishing
    6 micron - Peach - Polishing
    1 micron - Light Green - Polishing

I love these to bits, but was very disappointed in the big versions, which are much too stiff for my liking.

I'd like the first two coarse ones, George. Could you tell us where they come from? Dennis.