Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooksons' soldering kit........

Default Cooksons' soldering kit........

Hey

was thinking of buying the soldering kit from Cooksongold but does it have everything I need. If not any suggestions would be appreciated......

Thanks

Gayle

I bought the beginner's soldering kit a couple of months ago and still finding it great! The only extra thing I bought was a 'third hand' thing to hold the reverse tweezers, which I find pretty useful. The kit came with a good amount of silver solder and flux (the nice auflux stuff) too.

Thanks for that. Does it include pickle. I just want to get started. I finished a fab course a couple of months ago. So its about time I put it all to some use!!

Gayle xx

Yes it does, a whole massive tub of the stuff! Best if you have an old slow cooker to keep the pickle warm.

Totally understand how you feel, I was exactly the same before I got my soldering kit - you can't get very far without it. Where did you do your course, out of interest?

Yeah Ive been looking out for an old slow cooker but not seen any so just going to buy a small one from argos! I did my course at Craven college in Skipton, North Yorkshire about 16-18 weeks cant remember which, £200 (ish) plus exam. I really miss it. I need to get on with it though before I forget how to do it!!
    Gayle xx

Sounds much more reasonable than London course prices! Sigh...

Awwww Chick lol xxx

The only thing you will need to consider is a hotter torch. Many of the agonised cries for help-with-soldering, come from beginners who simply can't raise enough heat to solder even a thin bangle, or a heavy ring with a hand held mini-torch.

A hand held DIY torch such as the Campingaz, or Go-System is the simplest solution. Dennis.

So would you say it would be better long term to go straight for a Sievert kit like this:

www gasproducts co uk/acatalog/Sievert_Pro_86_Jewellers_Gas_Blow_Torch_Kit.html

I know that by the time you've put flux/tweezers/etc on then this will be more expensive, but would it be a better use of funds?

Seems I'm not allowed to post urls...

Well, you'll always want a mini-torch for chains, jump ringsand other small items. What you buy in addition depends on how commercial you aim to get, including insurance and health and safety considerations.