Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian wedding ring help

Default Russian wedding ring help

Last week I - a little unsucesssfully - tried my hand at making a russian wedding band. Upon completion, the ring didn't even go over my knuckle, despite all 3 bands being rounded to a perfect fit beforehand, so I'm guessing I need to size each ring larger, but by how much? Also I wanted to ask what size/shape wire is best to use, as the 1mm round I used is rather flimsy.

These are, I am aware, probably quite basic questions so please excuse my ignorance

Many thanks in advance.

You are correct, they do need to be bigger. There is a formula, but I don't remember , will try and look it tonight.

Julian
    Last edited by Julian; 17-07-2012 at 09:52 AM.

I think it's about 3 sizes larger. I use d shaped wire.

Default From Russia With Love.

The Russian wedding ring has a religious significance, but it is also a very decorative piece of jewellery. Traditionally it is made in three colours of gold, but a less expensive version could be entirely of silver.

The three parts are made separately , three sizes larger than normal and finished completely. Here I have used 3.2 x 1.6 mm D shaped wire. Two are then cut at the solder joint with a fine saw blade, opened by a sideways movement to preserve the curve and then linked and re-soldered one at a time. The fit is quite snug as the components tend to cling to the fingers and to take the ring off they must be gently rolled over each other. This rolling action seems to give the ring a life of its own. If using gold, it might be worth doing an experiment with a cheaper metal to verify the fit, as resizing would involve dismantling the whole thing.

This is a repeat of my thread, dated October 2011. unfortunately at some time I accidentally wiped all my pictures in the Forum. Dennis

Pictured: a plain silver one, used to test the sizing and the final nine carat version..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russian Wedding Ring Plan.jpg   Russian Wedding Ring, test ring closed.jpg   Russian Wedding Ring.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    three sizes larger than normal and finished completely. Here I have used 3.2 x 1.6 mm D shaped wire.

Mmm, I make mine from a wire a roll myself (from 2.5mm round wire), which comes out at approx 3mm x 1.5mm. However, I make mine 5 sizes larger - never had any problems with customers complaining that it's too large. Here is mine
    Last edited by lilia; 17-07-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Love your work Lilia. You've got some fab designs.

Thanks Carole

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The Russian wedding ring has a religious significance, but it is also a very decorative piece of jewellery. Traditionally it is made in three colours of gold
    I used to have one in 3 colour gold, but I lost it on a ride at Thorpe Park.

The three parts are made separately , three sizes larger than normal and finished completely. Two are then cut at the solder joint with a fine saw blade, opened by a sideways movement to preserve the curve and then linked and re-soldered one at a time
    I did all this, apart from the 3 sizes larger thing. Nice to know I got the process right though

Jinks McGrath gives the following formula;

For a normal ring cut a piece of wire the length of the internal diameter of the size plus twice the wire thickness.

So a size O made of 2,5 high/ thick D wire would be 58 mm plus + ( 2 * 2,5). = 63mm

I use this formula regularly wit success. Now she says for Russian rings you need to account fr th thickness or the other rings. So in addition you need to add an audition thickness for each additional ring;

So a size O made of 2,5 high / thick D wire would be 58 mm plus + ( 2 * 2,5). + ( 2 * 2,5) = 68mm

So for our example cut 3 lengths of 68 mm wire

Wikipedia has a size chart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_size

Hope that helps

Julian
    Last edited by Julian; 18-07-2012 at 05:15 AM.

I've never done them to sell until recently but I tried out a couple at my last craft fair. I don't think anyone even looked at them, though I sold lots of other rings. I don't think I'll bother again. I love to wear one though as they're great to play with.