Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian wedding ring help

I had to make one of these recently and I worked out just under 3 sizes bigger for me but I think it depends on the size of shank you use.Notice its got a really small casting button because I used the customers own welsh gold from old family rings, so only had a small amount to work with and sort of winged it luckly it worked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04986.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	3766

Name:	DSC04998.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	3767

Name:	DSC05005.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	3768

Well you suffered for your art, and I'm glad you made it. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I had to make one of these recently and I worked out just under 3 sizes bigger for me but I think it depends on the size of shank you use.Notice its got a really small casting button because I used the customers own welsh gold from old family rings, so only had a small amount to work with and sort of winged it luckly it worked.
    Wow, that is really sweet.

Julian

Hi all,
    Thanks for this thread - I'm about to make my first Russian Wedding Ring, first in silver and then, all being well, in yellow gold. Just have a couple more questions -
    1. Would you recommend the same formula as the Jinks McGrath one posted by Julian for matching interlocking bracelets? Having worn them in the past they can jam up uncomfortably if they have too much room to move. Any experience with this? I can have a go but materials are costly so I'd like to do a bit of research first!
    2. For more than 3 bands for a ring what sort of thickness would you recommend for say 5 bands? Tiffany has a very chunky nine ring number, which I think is fabulous (picture attached).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	3893 Again with raw material costs being what they are I am thinking about more like five bands, and will have to wait until next year as my budget is well and truly spent!
    Any thoughts gratefully received.
    Thank you,
    Glowpear

Try it in silver. if it doesn't work out, you can always recycle as ring shanks

J

I couldnt get the formulas to work it worked out to big which is more than likley down to me, so I made a mock up in wax then building the ring up and checking its size. I didnt take a picture of the mock up, but I got one of the wax before it was fitted together the 'bumps' on the inside were filed/sanded down before assembly .Its also important to get the rings the same size otherwise it may not sit right and also not flow over each other correctly

Name:	DSC04973.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	3895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04977.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	3896
    Last edited by josef1; 05-10-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I couldnt get the formulas to work it worked out to big which is more than likley down to me, so I made a mock up in wax then building the ring up and checking its size. I didnt take a picture of the mock up, but I got one of the wax before it was fitted together the 'bumps' on the inside were filed/sanded down before assembly .Its also important to get the rings the same size otherwise it may not sit right and also not flow over each other correctly

Name:	DSC04973.jpg 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	3895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04977.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	3896
    what numbers do you have, what final rig size do you want ?

Its all sorted now, I think it was a N and a half size and 1.9mm D shaped wire with a slight comfort fit but I have slept since !

1.9mm D shaped
    thick or width, sorry had to ask

J

Name:	ring size.jpg 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	3897
    I did remember wrong ! I just checked the file its
    Radius 9.02mm, Ring width 2.38mm , Cross section height 1.1mm