Thread: OK to put gold-plated brass in safety pickle?

Default OK to put gold-plated brass in safety pickle?

I made a pendant out of brass and had it plated in rose gold. I now want to put it on a rose gold chain and solder the jump ring attached to it closed so that my relatively expensive pendant can't be pulled off by my 6 month old and his new-found interest in jewellery!

George very kindly sent me some red gold solder, so I've soldered the jump ring closed, but I'm nervous about putting the finished piece into pickle. Will safety pickle damage gold plated items at all? I don't see how it could, but I wanted to double-check first.

Thanks in advance,

Joanne

Joanne, If your pedant now has a closed jump-ring, can you just carefully polish the jump-ring, say with a medium radial wheel, or even a cloth, or toothbrush and metal polish?

Brass is safe in pickle, so I don't see why there should be a problem, but in Jewellery making, Sod's law always operates.

Much more worrying is the menace on your lap, because any baby worth their salt will break a chain with one quick yank. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I gave it a test yank the other day with the unsoldered jump rings, and it was those that came apart rather than the chain. But yes, the menace is indeed a menace and I'm aware I'll have to be careful all the same!

I searched on here about pickling red gold solder and agree that safety pickle barely touches it. I've soldered the chain ends and pickled them, with a resulting brown metal. But they have come up well with polish, so I will skip the pickle for the pendant jump ring and just polish it as you suggest. Thanks.

Joanne