Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yours Bewildered......

As a rank amateur when it comes to working with gold and silver, maybe I see this from a slightly different perspective. I use a lot of semi precious beads and swarovski crystal beads and am really glad that Cooksons have started selling these and other quality beads.
    I am, however unlikely to buy many online, as I really need to see and feel the semiprecious ones before I buy.
    BUT acrylic and lucite???????? I stopped using these years ago when I started using silver instead of cheap rubbish findings.
    And I have to say when I called in to the showroom in Birmingham last week, it quite literally set my teeth on edge when they pointed out the new range of base metal findings.
    If people want plastic beads and cheap tacky findings, they are not going to go to Cooksons when they can buy from overseas at a fraction of the cost.

You tigger are absolutely right,

I have only been making for two years and without Cooksons I would have been lost, and I have in the past bought beads from them (when I knew no better) finding my feet and all as the Merkins would say, but over this last two years I came to expect quality and this last lot of new releases do not say quality what they say is something else.

I am certainly not one to decry the amateur as I include myself in those hoards, but at the same time I want to know that I can rely on getting that which I now need to progress (standard chain out of stock for weeks on end, precious metal clay at ridiculous prices, yet available elsewhere at more reasonable prices, it is not good enough to say "our supplier has increased their prices" look for another supplier!, items not as described, setting strip for 3.5 stones that do not fit the stones and being out of stock so could not be checked).

Cookson in the main have been for me very encouraging and helpful, for which I am truly grateful, the sales team are lovely and always have time to deal with me the amateur........ and before anybody says it ......my "loyalty" is not misplaced as far as I am concerned, here in France the sales of bullion and findings are very restricted to those in the trade, I do not have many options I have to buy my stuff from outside of France, I do buy from other sources but I want to get that which I need in once place with no fuss and reliability.

The changes to the website alone this last while have made finding things a chore. Please don't fix that which is not broke, before rolling out a whole new heap of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    You tigger are absolutely right.
    Hear!! Hear!!!!!!!

Only read that bit and had to post......now to read the rest of your erudite comments Kwant!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I gave the bead book to the Mrs and it kept her quiet for over an hour, I had time to drink beer and watch man stuff on TV, so for me its a winner !
    That's funny, they didn't send me any beer.

They didn't send me any beer either Dennis.

However, I gave mine to my husband, and he used it to line the cat litter tray....

Well I can only echo your comments Kwant, and also add that as I move to replacing and upgrading my tools, I find Cooksons less and less competitive on both range and price. I mostly use Cookson for bullion, but do check dealer prices, never buy stones, find upgrading tools at better prices elsewhere....files, saws, pliers, ultrasonic, and broader ranges....benchmate, ultrasonic, etc,......'consumables'....saw blades (vallorbe) at better prices. I also buy very few findings through Cooksons, the latter being partly due to my extended skills in making my own, but also the poor quality of the very light findings on offer, I am sure there used to be a 'heavy weight' silver earring backs available at cookies (e.g. see eurofindings....2 mins walk in Birmingham)!

My concern is that regardless of the increased staff referred to above, the focus has shifted from the reliable, quality and high end bullion and tool dealer that I first became acquainted with about 5 years ago, with the starter packs and 'affordable tool ranges' for us beginners, to cheap tat, that as already state is available much cheaper from abroad.

Not expanding at the top end at all (certainly not competitively), but going bust for the cheaper end..... I appreciate and understand the economic climate, but as has already been said, if I'm spending my money I like to know where I'm spending it and what I'm getting for it, sadly the answer here seems to be less and less.....

C'mon Cookies.....step-up the game!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Andrew joined comparatively recently.
    Recently? Those 2 1/2 years that I have been associated with them have flown by haven't they?
    Its finally here. The answer to your Online Jewellery Training

Just Click Below

AtTheBench Jewellery Training for Jewellers

Hello Andrew,
    Well I did say comparatively and yes, tempus does fugit. Dennis.