Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yours Bewildered......

Default Yours Bewildered......

The super Moderator,
    Cookson Gold Jewellery Making Forum. 13th July 2012

Sir,

I have just received the Cookson bead Book, nigh-on one hundred pages of non precious beads, base metal findings and inexpensive tools (who buys this stuff?).
    Is it just a sign of our reduced financial circumstances, or are they hoping to tap into a whole new market?
    I am reluctant to bin this expensively produce catalogue. Anyone out there want it?

Yours bewildered D. London.

I think there's a big market for these things Dennis. Craft fairs are full of people selling cheap tat and also full of people buying it.

caroleallen, we don't sell cheap tate in Cornwall, we just market it differently!

[QUOTE=lopez;49193]caroleallen, we don't sell cheap tate in Cornwall, we just market it differently![/QUOTE

Volume counts, but magots are not solotry

It's difficult to set standards when volume is falling!

I sympathize with cookies marketing, but I fear they are selling the family jewels to get their bonuses

Let's hope we can get through this

J

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The super Moderator,
    Cookson Gold Jewellery Making Forum. 13th July 2012

Sir,

I have just received the Cookson bead Book, nigh-on one hundred pages of non precious beads, base metal findings and inexpensive tools (who buys this stuff?).
    Is it just a sign of our reduced financial circumstances, or are they hoping to tap into a whole new market?
    I am reluctant to bin this expensively produce catalogue. Anyone out there want it?

Yours bewildered D. London.
    That made me smile, Dennis. I received their new beads catalogue and was very surprised that they produced such an expensive catalogue for such cheap items. I think Cookson is trying out new markets, I just wish they didn't go into all of this base metal and glass beads junk.

They could have spent their research and money into better quality tools and may be some tutorial videos.

Spot on Lilia,
    There are literally hundreds of shops, both bricks and mortar and online, selling cheap and nasty glass beads, base metal findings and stringing materials - and they're all pretty much the same, and all mass produced in China.

There is NO shop in the UK selling anything approaching the range of tools our American and European counterparts can buy, and with the ridiculously low import threshold now, combined with astronomical postage costs, we're happy to pay a bit of a premium for them. Or give us some interesting materials to play with - stainless steel rather than plated base metals, a range of jeweller's brasses or some high quality leather or silicone rather than horrid fake suede and plated crimps that fall apart at the first touch.

If it's any help, the catalogue paper's glossy enough to use for mixing epoxy on, and tough enough for lining cat litter trays.....

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post

If it's any help, the catalogue paper's...........tough enough for lining cat litter trays.....
    had to put the kitty tray back in since we have had all of the rain.......thanks for the heads up George xx

and tough enough for lining cat litter trays.....
    Ouch! Truth always hurts. Love it

The truth is we joined cookies as precious metal artisan jewelers, my fear is they are down grading. I noticed for example they no longer do gold bars! Or maybe it's out of stock ?

J

It is not only the truth that hurts, and though shiny paper has many uses there are some traditional uses for paper that shiny just does not do.

unless of course you are attempting the impossible and trying to polish the proverbial..............................
    Last edited by Kwant; 14-07-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: missing information :0)

There is NO shop in the UK selling anything approaching the range of tools our American and European counterparts can buy, and with the ridiculously low import threshold now, combined with astronomical postage costs, we're happy to pay a bit of a premium for them.
    Absolutely George!!!!