Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grotty Found Object To Useful Gadget.

Default Grotty Found Object To Useful Gadget.

While walking down our High Street, my eye was caught by a discarded lighter in the crack of the pavement. Remembering something from ‘Cheap Thrills In The Workshop’, by Charles Lewton-Brain, I brought it home to cut out the flint wheel, discarding the die-cast thumb wheels on either side.

Drilling out the softer steel axle was easy enough, done in two stages with some lubricant, to accommodate the screw of a screw mandrel.

The result mounted, is a rotary file for flex-shaft, which can be used for trimming round and oval holes to a scribed line and other jobs, where a file won’t go, or simply because you prefer rotary tools. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f Foud Lighter.jpg   f Drilling Out Centre Of Flint Wheel.jpg   f Mounted Gadget And Oval From Scrap Pot..jpg  

You're too clever Dennis. Way too clever; I can't work it out at all.

Clever idea Dennis but why bother when you can buy sets of diamond burs like these from Cookson;
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-6389 all for £12.
    Or there are cheaper versions from Amazon;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-30P...f=pd_sim_diy_1
    Sorry Cookson but £5 for 30 different shaped diamond burs can't be bad.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 10-07-2012 at 08:21 AM.

I tend to be relatively careful (c.f. "overcautious" maybe!) with my diamond tooling - the carbide burrs (including a couple of lighter wheels), while brittle, get used more for hogging out material and are usually less susceptible to clogging with softer metals.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    You're too clever Dennis. Way too clever; I can't work it out at all.
    ??? Dennis.

James, You're right, I like new things too, but in this instance it's satisfaction from getting something for free, re-cycling waste, and lastly because the cheap sets have 3.0mm shanks, which won't fit my micromotor handpiece.

These wheels also give a superior bright cut- try it for fun, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-07-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Dennis I often thought the C Lewton-Brain was for quacks until I made a diamond fly wheel, but those were the days when time was in abundant. Why don't you make a collet for the handpiece or better still get a 'jacobs' handpiece for around £15.00, although big and chunky they're great for holding the>3.00mm shanks. If you could free some mind power do you have any solutions for a cheap wax injector, I have two on the go with different casting waxes in but need a third for injecting green carving wax for small quantity waxing, any ideas??

Ever since I read this thread I have had the tune for Steptoe and Son in my head :0)

Lopez, you probably know that with all but the most expensive micromotors, the handpiece is fixed and cannot be exchanged. The best I can do is to use a mandrel with interchangeable collets, but for most purposes that makes the tools too long to be useful and liable to bend suddenly.

Fischer advise in their catalogue, that you first experiment with their practice flywheel, before using the diamond one. I certainly don't have the confidence to set my own as a tool.

You have given us a lot of interesting and valuable posts in quite a short time, but I am wondering whether you could fill us in a little about yourself. I could only find two women Lopez jewellers online and I doubt either is you? Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Ever since I read this thread I have had the tune for Steptoe and Son in my head :0)
    You have to clack your tongue for the hooves as well.