Thread: Quick clamp pin vice?

newbie2012 Guest

Default Quick clamp pin vice?

Hi, I'm looking for a hand held pin vice aka 999-332 but one which has a quick clamp mechanism rather than a screw device.

I don't have the strength to tighten it enough to keep the bit from moving, but if I use a pendant motor which can secure it, the speed is so high that my drilling/burring goes off target. I've tried using pliers and bench vice to tighten, but this is time consuming and damages the vice.

I've googled and looked everywhere but can't find anything... any ideas?

Hey newbie2012, I've not come across one but I know the problem you're on about, here are some ideas which should help firstly the bur end which fits into the vice only rotates because it's round therefore flatten two parallel sides with a bench grinder (the bit which goes into the vice) this will stop the rotation or just put the 'squared' bur into a new plane handle, these both work a treat. Secondly check your pendant motor for its speed, if it goes from 0-x rpm the bushes need replacing since it should rotate at a slow speed if required, if it doesn't start at 0 then don't worry. Good luck.

Lopez has given you the answer, but you don't need to rush out and buy a bench grinder. I have a surplus of heatless stones for the flex-shaft and could gladly send you a few free of charge, if you care to PM me an address. All you need in addition is a mandrel with a screw. Dennis.

newbie2012 Guest

Thanks both! I've just checked my accessory kit, and have found some grinding stones and screw type mandrel, so will give it a go this weekend. Thanks for your suggestion Lopez and kind offer Dennis