Thread: Scorpers

Default Scorpers

This one for James or Peter I think. I've got me a scorper so that I do something akin to Guilloche enamelling, which I love so much I used to collect it. I know that guilloche was engine turned, I just want to do something similar.

Anyway - grinding tools has never been a strong point for me; when I was woodturning I had a nifty Sorby jig that allowed me to set angles and stuff - even a duffer like me could use it. Now of course, sans jig, I need to grind my scorper. What angle and shape should the business end be? Any tips gratefully received.
    Di x

Hello Di,
    I prepared a photo tutorial for GOJD a while back, it is a group of photos that show how I prepare a scorper for use.
    See; http://www.guildofjewellerydesigners...d=28&Itemid=66

The photos show the shape that I grind the business end of all of my scorpers. As I always harden and temper my scorpers after grinding I can be brutal when grinding and not worry about the tool getting hot and loosing it's temper.

Otherwise here is a photo sheet of the process.The photos on the GOJD site are much larger.
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132 Scorper prep photo sheet.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	3736
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 07-07-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks James x
    Di x