Thread: Sifting out the Fines...

Default Sifting out the Fines...

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than carry on in the ongoing enamelling one - make it easier to find stuff later on.

What size of particle do you sieve to? And do you make your own sieves or use the ready-made ones?

My reason for asking is that I have a fair few bought in sieves but they're all 80 mesh. I looked for different gauge ready-made sieves and couldn't find any. I've read that you get clearer, cleaner transparents by using larger particles and so, for the first time, I can see that more than one gauge of sieve is required. Of course, as always with me, once I decide I need something, I need it now.
    Di x

Answering myself - the men in the white coats will be coming...

Found this site http://www.themeshcompany.com/acatal...Wire-Mesh.html haven't had a good look yet though
    Di x

Di, remember that there are no real rules on enamelling. One of my goldsmith friends does some of his own enamelling and he breaks every rule in the book and has success with his designs. He actually does not grind his enamels, he cuts cavities in his jewellery designs and sits lumps of enamel in the cavity and just fires it in a kiln and watches the lump of enamel melt into the cavity like syrup. When he does plique a-jour enamelling, I pierce out his designs and he clamps a plate of thin polished platinum to the back of my piercing, then lays lumps of enamel into the pierced and platinum backed cavities and then fires the whole piece.If you didn't know it, enamels won't adhere to polished platinum.
    So don't be afraid of experimenting with your enamels.

James

I don't really bother with sieving Di. Washing it removes the fines. I got a set of sieves from vitrum signum (I think) but never use them. Some people use coffee filters when washing the enamel to keep the fines for counter enamelling, but I think life's too short. I think a lot depends on the sort of enamelling you plan to do and the price you plan to charge for it. If you plan to charge thousands, then you probably need to be really anal with it but I'm not in that league, and never will be. I couldn't cope with the stress and if I'm honest, it's not my style. While I can admire the workmanship, I prefer more contemporary stuff.

Thanks Carole - I can get anally retentive but only when I've found I'm naturally good at something cos then I have to be the best! I've read myself into confusion but now I actually have something to play with other than the samples I might actually have something to show you soon.

x
    Di x

Ooh, looking forward to seeing it Di.