Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enamelling Kilns and Controllers for beginner

Question Enamelling Kilns and Controllers for beginner

Hello all,

I've just done a days intro to enamelling which I really enjoyed and I'm now looking at buying the various bits I'll need to DIY.
    Obviously the big cost is the kiln and controller and I have a couple of questions.

I cannot understand why the controllers are so expensive? It seems that they start at £100 for a mechanical controller (looks like a dial) and £200 for an electrical controller. Can someone explain why the high cost? and how can I get away with spending less?

All I can think of is that the controllers are more sophisticated than I need, with multiple temperatures and ramping etc - Is this really ever going to be useful with small enamel work (and possibly a little silver work)? I can see thermostatic controllers on ebay able to handle 5A for £20 which should be enough for the small hobby kilns which seem to be around 1KW power rating.

A specific question - the Uhlig U5 is described as not pre-drilled for a thermostat probe - is there a well known location to drill to install a probe? Given that there seem to be a fair number of these kilns around used?

Any other advice/warnings for the beginner welcome....

thanks

Mark

The enamel shop at Launceston are very helpful when it comes to kilns. They have quite a lot of info online but you can always ring them.

For simple enamelling on copper I used a kiln with no controls for years. You can judge the temperature by the colour of the glow.

Thanks Carole,

Did you just open the door to allow cooling or turn it off when it reached temperature?

Does it take long to get the hang of the colour changes? I understood that you shouldn't look directly into kilns - something about the heat/light being too intense - although I suppose tinted safety specs could be used.

Does the colour change apply in the same way to silver?

Looking around the EFCO 110 seems a good price at £230 (unless someone can point me at cheaper?) but comes with a recommendation not to use without a temp regulator of some sort.

thanks

Mark

I just opened the door Mark. Enamelling on copper is much more forgiving than silver. I don't worry too much about looking into the kiln as I only use mine 2 or 3 times a week. I'll probably regret it though when I get cataracts. It needs to look quite a bright orange. You'll get used to it.

A lot of us use the Paragon kiln, which is a bit more expensive but very reliable.
    Last edited by caroleallen; 25-06-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added a bit more

google offers paragonkilns.co.uk which must be the worst web site I've come across in a loooooong time.

lol you aint kidding there those idiots with their black background and abominable interface deserve nobody's money and in fact did not get mine I went to tempsford glass to get mine as they were the best deal and very reasonable shipping. Really those people at paragonkilns.co.uk should be strung up for just making folks tear their hair out trying to find out how to use their damned site.

I went to Kernowcraft for my Paragon SC2 and got a good deal at the time.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

My SC2 came from the awful website place - as did my tumbler. Once you've found your way around the dreadful site, the customer service is actually very good but, like a lot of folk I suspect, I avoid them if I possibly can simply because of the pain caused by that website. If nothing else, it is a lesson learned eh? How not to build a website.
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Di Sandland View Post
    My SC2 came from the awful website place - as did my tumbler. Once you've found your way around the dreadful site, the customer service is actually very good but, like a lot of folk I suspect, I avoid them if I possibly can simply because of the pain caused by that website. If nothing else, it is a lesson learned eh? How not to build a website.
    Mine came from the awful place too. The first one I had was faulty and they replaced it really quickly. They were meant to collect the faulty one at the same time and send it back to America but they didn't and now I have two!

That was a stroke of luck m'dear!
    Di x