Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting a marquise on a tube

I think the Thermo plastic is just used to hold the tube shape when setting the stone it would be removed when soldering

Hey Patstone, it's some years since I brought a batch of thermo plastic and I know new products are out all the time but mine is rock solid until you place it in hot water ~70oc whereby it turns into a soft putty; it replaces the old setting cement/shellac concept.

There's a clever marquis setting in the Sonia Cheadle book which is done by doming a disc of metal and cutting it in half. The two halves are then soldered together by the rim edges. A ball burr is used to create the bearer and once it fits the stone, the metal can be rubbed over. Looks simple, though I haven't tried it.

I have this book in my Amazon wish list Carole - is it worth getting?

sorry - started hijacking threads already - didn't take long did it
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Looks simple, though I haven't tried it.
    I have to say I found it a bit of a pig - mostly in getting the edges aligned accurately; the actual setting work was easy. I'll have another go at some point, that was just a first pass. I ended up cementing the halves onto sticks to make it possible to hold them too.

The Cheadle book is pretty good; I rate both Anastasia Young's book & Cogswell's over it personally (but no idea which I'd place 1st!).

I have the Cogswell, which I rate very highly so I'd never considered buying another. This Cheadle one sounds like it might have some interesting alternatives though. Hmm...
    Di x

I've got the Cogswell too but I also like the Cheadle because of the easy step by step diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Dennis there is no way you could possibly know what julian was on about from that drawing it is a rectangle with a diamond shape on it, no indication of how he was going to set it
    Correct my friend . I have not decided how it should be set. Personally originally I thought it should be flush, but I could not work out how to do it. Curved services don't lend them selves to flush settings. Thus I opened it up to the group, with out input , and thanks to you guys I have had some very valuable input. I know my stones , but I am here to learn fabrication. Thanks.

given that we know he is dyslexic adds to the confusion!!!!
    Thanks for the courtesy. I do apologize but I am completely word blind. If I am to tell the truth, I failed, English o level 12 times, so I decided to solve the problem by marrying an english teacher! That said I never let it hold me back. I just thank you for you patience.

There was one occasion that I requested my operation team to cycle the passwords of the servers, the request came back: denied. The security team did not believe i could send a correctly spelt email!

J

PS my 15 year old spell checked this

Dennis there is no way you could possibly know what julian was on about from that drawing it is a rectangle with a diamond shape on it, no indication of how he was going to set it, claw, bezel or basket. Julian did not give enough information to know quite what he was up to and given that we know he is dyslexic adds to the confusion!!!!
    Cornelius, there is nothing wrong with Julian. He has quite clearly shown a pointy stone set onto the side of a tube for a pendant. The nearest I have come to doing this, is to split a tube (top left of my picture) And insert my mount into the cavity, albeit for a round cab.

I don't want to be horrid, but I think you are just cross you weren't offered a toffee. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garnet Necklace Detail.jpg  

I've had site of both these books and would rate the Cogswell over the Cheadle, think i just understood more easily the way things were described,however,I really do like the Anastasia Young settings book. I'd highly recommend it!!