Thread: cold connections

Default cold connections

Hi has anyone got any bright suggestions for cold connections - this is driving me crazy ! I want to join a piece of anodised aluminium to a fine chain to fit on the back of the hand. I need to connect around the wrist and between the fingers. It would appear easy until the part where the chain welds to the jumpring ! I dont have a finer flame, so am looking for some other way .

Hi Tegenn, can you post a pic? to let us see what it is you are working on, it might then be easier for folks to come up with an idea.

Here is a shot in the dark, remembering that we don't quite know what you are making:

Solder the chain to a jump ring of suitable size.
    Make a rivet to fit the jump ring.
    Drill the aluminium accurately and rivet with the jump ring underneath and out of sight.

The rivet can be a short piece of tubing, or a stout piece of wire. For a head on the side which shows, you can cut a tiny disk or a slice of round wire, possibly dome it and solder it on. Personally I favour tube rivets as they are easy to spread.

I do suggest you get a basic mini-torch for small soldering jobs.

Below, my mixed metal project piece to illustrate the cold connections. Apologies to those who have seen it before. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puzzle Cuff1.jpg   Puzzle Cuff2.jpg