Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enamelling Kilns and Controllers for beginner

One day I need to get it fixed so I can use it.

I bought a second hand Uhlig kiln off ebay without a controller, and have not really had any problems. It did take a bit of getting used to - I had one or two incidents early on where my soldering ran and everything fell to bits, but then that happened in the temperature controlled kiln I used in my class too - just the risk you take, I think.

I've learned to recognise the colour/feel of "too hot" and turn it off for 5 minutes every now and again, if I'm using it for several hours, and have not had any disasters in a while (touch wood!).

I'm mainly using it for enamelling silver, and the occasional bit of metal clay. I keep an eye on the pieces in the kiln to make sure it doesn't look like it's getting too hot, and err on the side of caution when it comes to timings.

Having said all that, I did a glass fusing workshop a few months ago, and would love to play around with small pieces at home. This definitely does need a controller, and I half wish I'd waited until I could get a kiln with a controller to start with, as I couldn't really justify a new one now, and as you say, controllers are so expensive to get seperately. So I'd recommend thinking forward to the sort of things you might want to do in the future, as you don't want to have to upgrade in a years time!