Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website hosts?

Default Website hosts?

Can anyone please suggest / recommend good Webhost providers? I already have a domain name and am at the point where I'd like to take the plunge and set up a website. A friend has suggested Mr Site however I wondered if anyone had any feedback on them or have a preference for another host?

Although I'm quite techy orientated, at this stage I'm looking for something quite straightforward which I can personalise to some extent.

Apologies in advance if this raises groans amongst the more regular forum members as I'm sure this subject may well have been discussed to death! I've had a search on previous posts but they seem to be a couple of years old now

Thank you
    Sarah

I use one.com and have been absolutely happy with them. Their tech support is excellent and any tiny glitches have always been dealt with very quickly.

I use prestashop for my site, which I'm also very happy with. I looked at other alternatives, including Zen Cart and Cube Cart, and the other option which ended up in the running was a Wordpress based site, but I wanted more off-the-peg functionality than that offered me.

Mr Site is a good entry point, but is really a page content site with a bit of shopping bolted on, rather than a true e-commerce site, and can be very frustrating to use. Their tech support is dreadful.

I use site5. I'm not great tech speaking but they have absolutely superlative customer support, either by email or live chat. I have one of the advanced accounts which gives me pretty much unlimited numbers of domains I can host. I think I pay about $155 per year for the turbo host-pro. It's worth it for me because I have several websites for various things.
    http://www.site5.com/hosting/web/

I currently use Zen Cart, which is free, and it's quite easy to work with.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I use one and one, but am so technically backwards with the web stuff, I am not sure I am making the most of things. I pay £4.99 per month per site and about £6.99 for a renewal max.

The server has not let me down yet. You can use your own FTP software and for that it has been brilliant.

I use Evohosting and, having been around the block a bit(!), I have to say this is where I shall stay. I'm currently building my first real shop and I'm using OpenCart - I'm finding it a lot easier than Presta Shop! http://www.evohosting.co.uk
    Di x

Thank you so much for the suggestions - I'm off to have a look around now

Using a VPS setup from webfusion. They used to be awful, being very difficult when trying to exit an expired contract. They seem to have cleaned up their act recently though. Tech support is pretty dismal though.

I use create.net which are good. They have three different packages to suit your budget. I think yhey all have the option of an in built shop and blog.

Please be careful when using "all in one" hosting providers. Some of the click and go web sites are registered to the host and not you, great unless you want to move your site and find you have to buy your own domain name back from the host.

I use

http://www.justhost.com/cgi/info/web_hosting

Also where possible don't put the shop in the root directory of your site, there can be security issues, www.blahdiddyblah.com is a root directory, www.blahdiddyblah.com/shop/ is a better idea.

best wishes

Dave
    Last edited by Exsecratio; 08-06-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Turns out the URL I used as an example actually exists :)