Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Clean Tarnished Silver on Completed Gemstone Necklaces, etc - Please Help

Default How to Clean Tarnished Silver on Completed Gemstone Necklaces, etc - Please Help

I have made quite a few necklaces, bracelets and earrings all of which have silver in the pieces. My problem is that the silver is tarnishing and needs to be brought back to pristine condition before I sell them. I realise I should have probably put them all in anti-tarnish boxes but I am new to all this!!

Can someone please tell me how to clean the silver without taking all of the pieces apart? Does putting the pieces in Goddards Silver clean liquid work and if so will it kill the gems? The type of gems are citrine, amethyst, and all the usual culprits of semi-precious gems.

Your assistance in this dilema would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Linda

silver dip is fine for any non-porous stone that hasn't been colour treated. You can also use aluminium foil and bicarb with hot water.

George has mentioned the electrolytic method and below is a ticket about this, which I once included with my work. Now I usually suggest a 20 second immersion in Silver Dip followed by brushing, rinsing and drying. This very brief immersion has so far not affected anything.

For maintaining your stock, anti-tarnish strips, or tabs work brilliantly in small closed cabinets or sealed bags and mine last for a year or more.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_nf...ntitarnish+ta&
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Customer Care.jpg  

Thank you for the advice. I have tried the aluminium and bicarb - worked a treat :-).
    My Silver Dip arrived this afternoon so I will try that in the next day or so.

Many thanks.

I use a product called Tarne-x it works fantastic it smells like hard boild eggs, but works awesome.

Bl...y Hell Robbie, If this is the product http://www.jtote.com/product_info.ph..._medium=free&u, I'd rather get Goddards Silver Dip from Tesco.

ouch ............... at that price I would expect them to send a little man round to do it for me.

Kwant, at that price I wouldn't want the man they send round to be so little...
    Di x

Di!!!!!!

snigger

ouch indeed! I've used Goddards for years and always had brilliant results. Which reminds me, I've been in need of a new jar for ages, must remember to get one next time I go shopping.