Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RANT! Don't heat stones !

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    yup... my casters do stone set wax casting. I fired an artificial emerald in pmc once. it didn't fare well although the colour is fine and I quite liked the rather organic shape it became.
    Beryls (aquamarine,emerald,morganite,bixabit, etc) contain water in the crystal lattice, water at 700 degrees creates incredble pressure.

Julian

Hmm this is interesting. I found out only recently about baked stones, when I was told a citrine of mine was baked from amethyst. Not entirely sure I like the idea of changing things from their natural state

Baked, irradiated, coated, glass filled, oil filled... There's a myriad of ways to change the appearance of a stone, all with the goal of making it look like something it isn't. Look at "rainbow topaz" for a rather blatant example of what coatings can do to a more mundane stone.

Quote Originally Posted by alexyarm View Post
    Hmm this is interesting. I found out only recently about baked stones, when I was told a citrine of mine was baked from amethyst. Not entirely sure I like the idea of changing things from their natural state
    Some thing are beautiful in their own right, like the shades of blue topaz produced by irradiation. And then there are rock cakes. Dennis.