Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sandblaster wanted

Hi Lesley, My sandblaster would not achieve such course texture, the machine that Peter has would be a better option. I would say that the jewellery would need scratch brush polishing after such blasting as sand blasting leaves a dull matte finish. If you had patience you could achieve a similar effect by texturing with a hammerhead attachment in a flexshaft drill. I use my hammerhead when texturing carved animals and such like. The same effect can be achieved with chasing tool punches and a hammer. I also use my scratch brush, a rotating brass bristle brush, when creating a fine matte finish like the background to this crest.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	158a SC Haberdashers crest.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	3695

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Lesley, My sandblaster would not achieve such course texture, the machine that Peter has would be a better option. I would say that the jewellery would need scratch brush polishing after such blasting as sand blasting leaves a dull matte finish. If you had patience you could achieve a similar effect by texturing with a hammerhead attachment in a flexshaft drill. I use my hammerhead when texturing carved animals and such like. The same effect can be achieved with chasing tool punches and a hammer. I also use my scratch brush, a rotating brass bristle brush, when creating a fine matte finish like the background to this crest.

James

Name:	158a SC Haberdashers crest.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	3695
    Thanks James, I knew it would be acheiveable with the right kit. OK so big gusty comp and industrial grade sandblaster it is.... I dont have a hammerhead attachment for my flexi and far less patience to do it this way. I also use a scratch brush for the matte finish on that wonderful crest you made; are you a former pupil James?
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    Thanks James, I have spent the last day to try to find photos, this is the best I can find...http://www.utedecker.com/fairtrade_gold_h2.html
    The gold here is quite pitted, and not a fine finish. The texture is regular in structure across the piece.
    Being argumentative to the bitter end, this can easily be achieved for the price of a sheet of sandpaper, grit of your choice, in a rolling mill. Only a bash with a mallet will shut me up. Dennis.

Well, I'd been thinking that a hammer and a sheet of sandpaper would too, but yes. Although the ring shank may also be textured, which would be more awkward. I've had some interesting textures from a hammer handpiece with a diamond set with the culet pointing out as the texturing tool; I tend not to use that kind of texture much now as while it looks very glittery on silver initially, subsequent tarnish takes the gleam off and using electrolytic cleaning didn't restore the shine that well.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 20-06-2012 at 11:54 AM.

I think I may have posted this photo before, but just for interest these are some of the textures that I achieved using my hammerhead attachment. I must also add that my sandblaster has been rarely used, except on the original actual job that I purchased it for, about ten years ago.

James

Name:	41 textures with hammerheads.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	3697

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Being argumentative to the bitter end, this can easily be achieved for the price of a sheet of sandpaper, grit of your choice, in a rolling mill. Only a bash with a mallet will shut me up. Dennis.
    Loving your tenacity Dennis never give up...I will give it a go this aft.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Only a bash with a mallet will shut me up. Dennis.
    Can everyone put the mallet down and walk away from Dennis. I have tried grit grade 80, with which I was less than impressed. Grade 40 with 3 passes through the mill gives a more desireable effect, (I will see if I can get hold of a courser grade paper). I then went over the surface with a brass bristle brush and lots of soap to give a "sheen". A little more playing will make me satisfied with the result. I will post photies following further playtimes.

Bah now I have to find something else to spend the Governments money on, well if we had a Government at the moment.
    Poor old Les

Following the conversation above, then any shaped surface can also be textured with the medium frosting wheel in the flex shaft. I tend to use it as an afterthought, when some part looks a bit plain, or there is an unwanted mark to disguise.

Used not too fast, they last a while before they loose their wire, but eye protection is a good idea. 999CCQ http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true

Are we talking about a matt silver finish. Whats the matter with a bit of wire wool, thats what I use on my stuff, and I have been known to use a nylon foam scouring pad, the cube shape ones with the green rough tops, they work just as well and are easier to hold.

Oh is there a queue for the mallet bashing?