Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sandblaster wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I have a sandblaster cabinet that I might be selling soon, it's a pity that you are so far away Lesley. I bought my Bego Minipol blast cabinet from a dental technicians supplier here in the UK.
    I had a look online and I see that on eBay.de someone in Germany have one on offer for 200 Euro. See; http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bego-Minipol-...#ht_1084wt_905
    James
    This is my Bego Minipol.
    Attachment 3669Attachment 3670
    Now that's the kind of jobby I'm looking for, I have contacted dental suppliers here in NL for recons, but I still have to wait on their lists. What spec compressor do you use with your Bego James?
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    That's one of them, yes.
    I also have a small cabinet from Machine Mart (cheap & cheerful) that I use for derusting car parts and texturing steel before applying bake-on finishes and a small spotblast gun. They have very, very high air consumption and can only run from my gutsier compressor (although even that is a bit underpowered). I run the cabinet with different grades of alox or glass bead depending on what finish I'm trying to achieve.

Never tried using the larger ones on jewellery items; they'd give a very eroded look, I think - and I'd be concerned about lemel reclamation.

I use a small standard compressor with a tank an older version of one of these; http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/tiger they are OK if noise is not a problem.
    This company also sells larger sandblast cabinets if you are interested, see; http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-blast-cabinet

James

That's the cabinet I have. The compressor is one of these AFAIR - http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...air-compressor
    (and yes, they are *very* noisy - that's why I have the silent compressor too)

Thanks Peter & James, I have a little 5litre / 8bar compressor, but agree this is insufficient. I have also seen this on German ebay, which looks to take up less space and offers the range of abrasives in 3 hoses. http://www.ebay.de/itm/3-Kammer-Sand...item3a75d7c00f
    I have contacted the manufacturers in Italy this morning for more info on the item before I go ahead with bidding.

Once again thanks so much! I will let you see the results of my activity.
    Lesley
    Poor old Les

I know I’m being a pain Les, but what worries me is that the route you are taking is expensive and space consuming, yet not very versatile.
    For instance, blasting is brilliant for cleaning anything in a straight line of fire, but not around corners. It will produce a beautiful matte effect on metal, but the appearance is not sustainable.

What I mean by that is that any rub with a hard object will leave shiny lines which can only be removed by blasting again, in other words not by the customer. This might just be acceptable on reticulated surfaces, but little else.

I had access to this equipment when I began, but soon gave it up for the above reasons. Could you not achieve what you want by tumbling with needles, ceramic chips, or with a magnetic device?

Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    Julian, depending upon the shot size, pressure, metal used the texture on the metal varies. I like to texture a lot of my work, mostly I use reticulation. This is a way to produce a more constant less varied look to a piece. The one that Peter has will produce a finer texture. I have found some photos ofsandblasted work, but the photos will not load. if you google images for sandblasted jewellery you will find some examples of what I want .
    Well if you are not successfully, I have a 12 gauge you can use ( just kidding, but I could not resist )

Julian

Hi Dennis, I appreciate your comments as always. From what I understand an abrasive with a size of around 100/200 microns will leave a fine, scratchable surface. But when you start to move up in particle size especially with a higher pressure the indent is deeper. Most of the systems only go upto 250 microns, I can purchase abrasive upto 850 microns quite readily so the right system is important.
    The results of tumbling will indent the whole piece and that is not the effect I am looking for. My Research continues...
    Poor old Les

May I ask what effect you are looking for, I have experience of many forms of texturing and may be able to suggest different methods. I would be interested in seeing whatever you intend sand blasting or a photo of something that shows the finish you would like to achieve.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    May I ask what effect you are looking for, I have experience of many forms of texturing and may be able to suggest different methods. I would be interested in seeing whatever you intend sand blasting or a photo of something that shows the finish you would like to achieve.

James
    Thanks James, I have spent the last day to try to find photos, this is the best I can find...http://www.utedecker.com/fairtrade_gold_h2.html
    The gold here is quite pitted, and not a fine finish. The texture is regular in structure across the piece.
    Last edited by art925; 20-06-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    Poor old Les