Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting with gold

Default Starting with gold

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to gold

I usually work in sterling silver and have a commission for a gold wedding ring in 14k yellow gold. Pretty much looking to find out is there anything I should really really know before I start? How different is it to work from silver? I get the impression I heat the solder as opposed to the metal? I'm making a simple band out of sheet and texturing it with a hammer, when I do it in silver the ring stretches a fair bit on the mandrel as I hammer. Does 14k gold stretch the same sort of amount? or softer? harder?

Hi SJ answers are like busses, none for ages then a whole heap come along at once. I am sure somebody will be along to help you out real soon :0)

Most gold alloys are slightly harder than silver when worked. I have never worked in 14ct so I cant help you there. I only work in 18ct which is a much better colour than the lower gold carats. Soldering gold is the same as silver, heat the metal until the solder runs, if you just heat the solder it will just ball up and not run through the solder seam. The gold will stretch when hammered, perhaps not as quick as silver does though. Use hard or medium solders to closely match the gold colour, easy solders can be paler than the original gold colours.

I hope this is of some help.

James

In addition the solders flow at slightly higher temperatures than for silver, which might cause you to become impatient. So I would suggest you work in subdued light to judge the redness and use medium solder. Dennis.

Thanks guys! Not sure where I had picked up heat the solder instead of the metal! Good to know thats wrong!

I think I'm so afraid of how much it costs to become that impatient Dennis, its a crazy price jump! Gulp! Thanks for the light recommendation!

I'm getting hard solder since want the ring to last anyway and I like to use hard solder in my rings, and with 14k only seems to be easy or hard as options, do people have a preference for flux? I usually just use borax or quite often I'm using the paste silver solder so doesn't matter. Thinking I'll try the liquid auflux

How do people suggest polishing? will my tumbler be ok?....after sandpaper etc.
    Last edited by SJEgan; 14-06-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Auflux (Auroflux) is fine, because it does not swell (flower) very much when heated. In fact some of us use Auflux for silver as well. It can be dispensed from a dropper bottle and is always ready to use.

No one has mentioned this, but it is traditional to solder gold on a charcoal block and I do too. I have never got around to testing whether this is necessary, for fear of an expensive failure.

As for finishing, it behaves much like silver. Dennis.

Ah fab! I have a charcoal block, can't actually remember what I bought it for but it's still in cling film and ready to go, so seems like a good opportunity

Also pretty sure I have some dropper bottles around the place.

I've put through my cookson order last night and actually starting to get a little excited rather then petrified! Going to do a trial run in silver today as well as a few orders from sales yesterday.....I love words like orders and sales

Just wanted to say thanks guys, it worked out fab very happy with the rings have sent them to the assay office last week and just waiting to get them back now

I'm still too new to post links but if anyone wants to see pics just go to facebook and search fragment designs
    Last edited by SJEgan; 24-06-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks for posting, SJ. Look forward to pics of your work and other conversations on here. Dennis.

Any advice from anyone about venturing into white gold? In particular how does the solder color match up? I have a possible commission and just want a little info before I take it on.

Thanks guys