Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Blowtorch?????

Default What Blowtorch?????

I have to go to Birmingham tomorrow as hubby has a hospital appointment there, and (obviously) I can't go to Birmingham without a trip to Cooksons. So, I have finally got all my scrap gold together, and tomorrow I am going to weigh it in. I need a decent but reasonably priced blowtorch, as all I have currently is a small pen torch and as I have progressed, I now find it inadequate and it is holding me back.
    Best suggestions??????????????

Cooksons don't sell my favourite torch which is the Smiths little torch. I've always used a Sievert in the past and it's much easier to set up than the little torch.

I have been looking longingly at the Sievert, and wondering if I can justify the expense, but hubby has just vetoed it as he says a gas cylinder in the spare bedroom (my current workroom) is a bit of a hazard.

I use a Sievert.

How about a comprise ans store it else where?

J

I use a Sievert too - and my OH is pretty anally retentive when it comes to risk assessment
    Di x

Not sure it's the storage he's worried about. I've just had a lecture on explosive capabilities of gas cylinders and possible damage to neighbours. He says I would have to have a workshop at least 50metres away from the house for it to be safe???!!!!????

Well mines in the integral garage, which is just below our bedroom! I have to admit to being very scared at first but we adhere to all the safety guidelines and it's been there for a couple of years now. It's not worth a huge row though, is it?
    Di x

*sighs* That's the problem. He had a heart transplant in January and then nearly died from drug complications, so it's not going to be worth upsetting him. As he's decided I am obviously incompetent, I will have to go for a small hand one and just keep the peace for now.
    I'll just have to find other things to spend my scrap money on.

While you are waiting, why not consider a hand held Campingaz, or Go System torch, for example:http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=172290. Which you choose depends mostly on local availability of canisters, but even the larger canister is a minimal hazard. Choose piezzo ignition, so that they light with a click.

This is all I've ever used, except that I now have two for really large pieces like belt buckles. Dennis.

I'll let you into a little secret Tigger - I have often really lusted after a piece of kit, believing I can't possibly progress without it. Then when I get it, it remains unused! I rarely use my rolling mill, which I just had to have, and I'm only just now starting to use my kiln - which I couldn't possibly be taken seriously without (that was when I wanted to learn lampworking, which I absolutely hate!)
    Di x