Quote Originally Posted by Di Sandland View Post
What a shame about the dragonfly! :-( I love art nouveau and doing what you do had never occurred to me; it will be a while before I'm confident enough to do that though. Hydrofluoric acid - hell, that is scary, is there nothing else that will do the job (to answer myself, I guess not cos if there was you wouldn't be using the HF). I should have known you'd be doing something like this cos we like similar stuff.
I tend to save stuff up and dump them in in one go. outside on a still-ish day great big rubber gauntlets and goggles. it is very very dilute though, so probably a bit less risky. Re-enamelling is always a bit nerve-wracking, especially if stuff has been lead soldered, but sometimes the pay off is well worth it.
Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
That reminds me of a scene in the American series Breaking Bad, where a young guy tries to dispose of a body in the bath in an upstairs room with HF acid, well it did not go well :0)

I perhaps should not be let loose near such stuff as I have already spilled a jar of sulphuric onto myself, my trousers were off quicker than they have ever been, it did not do much good to the as was rush matting in my studio, which rotted away and has now had to be replaced.
I think I remember that episode. bit of artistic license in it I think!