Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enamels and Enamelling

Default Enamels and Enamelling

After playing with numerous ways of adding colour to my work I've finally come to the (inevitable) conclusion that I have to learn enamelling. At least it will make use of my poor virginal 4 year old kiln!

Actually, the kiln is no longer virginal, cos I've started playing already - I'm putting together a sampler of how different transparent colours look depending on what they are laid over - so clear flux, foil, nothing, and white.

So far, I've counter-enamelled 20 copper rectangles ready for starting the 'real' colour work. And already I have questions, to which I'm not sure if there are concrete answers. I know Carole enamels but I'm not sure about anybody else but I'd like input from everybody who knows something no matter how tiny that something might be.

1. I've noticed that different colours seem to need varying amounts of time in the kiln, is there any rule of thumb of determining this in advance or is it a matter of trial and error followed by experience
    2. The same goes with kiln temperature - I've set my kiln at 800 degrees C; there was such a variety of temperatures given on different websites and books and 800 seemed to be about the median.
    3. Do you finish your enamels off by rubbing them down (grinding more like) at the end?

Thank you

x
    Di x

Hi Di,

1. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

2. 800's fine for opaques on copper. For transparents on silver I generally go up to 830.

3. I'd only grind down if I had a metal edge (cloison) to grind down to. If you're sifting onto copper, I wouldn't bother.

I am waiting for my kiln to arrive Di, it is due around the 20th. I have the enamels and stuff ready to start and I am currently resisting the temptation to have a go with the torch.......... taps fingers :0)

I have never tried it and will have to go by that which I have been told and read about, still it is quite exciting.

Thanks Carole - I ain't arf enjoying meself!
    Di x

Cornelius (that is your name isn't it?) - I was tempted by the torch too, even bought the book! But that wasn't/isn't the effect I want to achieve so I was very restrained - not something I'm usually very good at. It's a bit like magic - or alchemy at least - and it all happens so quickly. Superficially it is very very easy but I suspect to get the results I'm looking for it will take a lot of practice and lots of swearing
    Di x

I love it too but it gets a bit more stressful on silver. I've discovered that I can make little cups to hold enamel with my hydraulic press, which means I don't have to worry about solder ruining my piece.

Yes it is Di

and oh noes more stressful on silver yikes!!!!

Carole, I was always jealous of your hydraulic press - I'm even more so now!
    Di x

Di, get yourself some half round scorpers and have a go at cutting your patterns and enamel edges. Check out this V&A video, it shows Jane Short enamelling a brooch and you can see her using a half round scorper for cutting and texturing.
    All of my translucent enamelled flowers have had textures cut on their petals by me pre enamelling. Not my enamelling though, I have expert friends who specialize in enamelling. I know you have my book Di, but for those who do not here are a couple of photos of my flowers.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	133 Six flower sheet 1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	3655 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21- Pink lily bloom.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	3656
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 13-06-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks James - I knew you'd pop your head over the parapet on this one (because of the spectacular enamelling your friends have applied to your work)
    Di x