Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first attempt at mokume...

Default first attempt at mokume...

it was an interesting experience. I never realised that metal could completely burn up and the copper has mysteriously disappeared. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120624-00015.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	3705

I think it's fair to say I need to work on my technique...

Keep going, this is something I would love to be able to do.

Julian

Have you seen pics of Mr Bond's mokume bowl?
    Di x

Medusa your pic reminds me of these:

Keyrings by kwant, on Flickr

Which were made from the molten remains of the engine block of a BMW belonging to a friend, which caught fire on my terrace some time back. By the time the fire brigade came there was not much left, but I saw these blobs and thought hmmm.............. the owner of the car was not best pleased at first but came to like the one I gave him to keep the key to his garden shed on, where he kept his mower as he did not now have a car :0)

Not perhaps quite what you were looking for as a result - can you walk through how you did it?

I'd hazard a guess at too hot, too long and too oxidising, probably torch fired?

My life is one long debugging session

Quote Originally Posted by Di Sandland View Post
    Have you seen pics of Mr Bond's mokume bowl?
    I have... it's sort of what inspired me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Medusa your pic reminds me of these:

Keyrings by kwant, on Flickr

Which were made from the molten remains of the engine block of a BMW belonging to a friend, which caught fire on my terrace some time back. By the time the fire brigade came there was not much left, but I saw these blobs and thought hmmm.............. the owner of the car was not best pleased at first but came to like the one I gave him to keep the key to his garden shed on, where he kept his mower as he did not now have a car :0)
    oooh pretty! i used to hang out at a foundry in Poplar back in the day and I was always grabbing the bits of bronze that splashed out. Yours remind me more of the now infamous 'pearl' necklace from a time ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Not perhaps quite what you were looking for as a result - can you walk through how you did it?

I'd hazard a guess at too hot, too long and too oxidising, probably torch fired?

My life is one long debugging session
    I sandwiched copper and silver together (but I think the copper was really too thin) and then made an 'oven' out of charcoal blocks and added heat first from my little torch and then using my proxxon. I think for sure too hot and too long. I don't have any charcoal blocks left now. I do have an old kiln but not sure it would get hot enough.

I'm wondering now I have a very copper rich alloy of silver, could I melt it down and use it for reticulation?

Yours remind me more of the now infamous 'pearl' necklace from a time ago..
    If I had a cup of coffee, I would have choked on it
    Di x

haha! I curse myself for not thinking of the idea first. If I had done it I would have made them individually. I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear a stranger's pearl necklace

Midway through the post I was typing, Firefox crashed...

A reading list:
    http://www.mokume.com/book2nded1.html (possibly the most useful one to start with? Buy the book!!!)
    http://andrewnycedesigns.com/educati...ume-gane-video
    http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...-diffusion.htm
    http://www.mokume-gane.com/index.php...kumegane_story (includes the Santa Fe paper by Jim)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mokume-Gane-.../dp/0713661569 (perhaps not as comprehensive as Steve's book, more focussed on using the rig he worked with - but still well worth having)

The charcoal was probably good from a neutral atmosphere POV (I use charcoal in my heat treating foil envelopes to scavenge oxygen) - bad from a cost point though! Soft firebricks work well, as do ceramic fibre boards. You've no mention of pressure there - it's a lot easier to get the sheets to bond with a decent amount of pressure (G cramp in Steve's excerpt, clamping plates in the Pijanowskis' method). You can eyeball a wired stack to see when they fuse, but it's a bit more exciting (can go too far quite quickly) and the resulting product is more difficult to work with as the 2 metals will constantly want to dissolve into the ever increasing eutectic bond. This can make soldering a bit tricky.

You can make something that looks like mokume by soldering sheets together; I think this is what is taught by Alistair McCallum, but not having been on a course I don't know for certain. This is generally believed to be a confusion caused by the Japan Society's papers from the late 1800s where they saw the process, but assumed that it *had* to involve soldering as that is what they understood. I don't do it, personally, but it works.

There is a Japanese copper alloy called shibuichi that is 1/4 silver that patinates rather nicely; you could either melt the lot down with some more copper and make that, or add fine silver grain instead and go up to a reticulation alloy?