Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: June Theme Competition

That's lovely Wallace!!

That's wonderful. I love it.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

thanks everyone!! I had to decide how I was going to put each piece together. The bucket is linked to the handle with a soldered rivet. Well, wire that I soldered through a hole then riveted in place. The handle also has a handle cover if you look closely. Both the bucket handle and the windmill move. I like things that have movement either alluded or real.

I have learned so many things over the years in metal working and these three were in some ways a lot of the sawing, raising, shaping, drilling, hot and cold connections, blob making (erm, I mean melting),soldering, filing and finishing and have used quite a few here. The bucket's base is 12mm and I had to flare it out or cut it out with a sloping edge to give it a conical shape. I like bashing, so decided to hand flare it with my hammer and ring mandrel. I am still working out a better solution for the windmill though....... may change the way it is connected later. But, it turns when I blow on it so it is very chucklingly satisfying.

I didn't want a high sheen on these as I knew they were going in scratchy sand for their play time pictures. lol. I was going to paint a little dolphin on the bucket, but only have water paints which don't do much on silver.

Thanks again everyone, your kind feedback is welcomed - I loved the fun of making these and they did bring some periwinkle picking days out with my dad back into my memory too!

Wallace that is gorgeous!

That's gorgeous Wallace! It is my childhood, made from silver, as I grew up in Jersey and spent the majority of my time as a child with a bucket and spade!

Love them all so far.

I want to enter and have all the prelim design stuff done, but still waiting on the kiln as I was hoping to do an enamel for this theme, and it would be my first enamel but hey I am a painter how hard can it be :P

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

sorry for the delay, the posts disappear if not within the last couple of days. Thanks for the lovely comments again.

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of rain clouds for the next month's competition, English Weather. It's rained here almost non-stop for weeks. Although I think further up country it's been fine, here the garden is a quagmire!

Quote Originally Posted by t1ggerk1ns View Post
    Ok, so I don't do Summer Holidays cos it always rains, so I think this says it quite well.
    I know it's not as good as most of the stuff that gets shown, but it contains a fair few 'firsts' for me.

My photography isn't much good either!!!!!!
    This is the best picture I could get.
    JUNE'S WINNER!!

It is great to see you experimenting with new techniques and we hope you have learnt a lot in the process.

We loved the irony of the piece- tongue in cheek and all that!

Well Done! We hope you enjoy your workbench which will allow you to explore your new found techniques further.

Please e-mail our competition's co-ordinator at jessica.sweetingham@cooksongold.com with your account details in order for us to deliver your prize!

Congratulations t1gger, hope that will be your lucky workbench, Dennis.