Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howdy!

Default Howdy!

Hello there everyone!

I'm Spring, new to the forum and fairly new to making jewellery in a serious way too. I've been making things out of beads and findings for years, but only started silversmithing in February - for Christmas my boyfriend bought me some private tuition with Amy Surman in Oxfordshire, and after 3 hours I was hooked!

Since then I've been buying up all the basic tools on Cookson's site and building up a very small (but growing) workshop in my spare room, bashing out bits of silver sheet when I'm not at work (management consultant by day). I've made a few things and just started a blog to share my progress and projects; so will look forward to speaking to you guys more for tips and getting feedback.

Hope you are all enjoying the fine weather at the moment!

I cannot bring myself to say 'howdy" back will hello and welcome do ;0)? You will find most of us here, except me who has a mouth like Moby dick, to be helpful and friendly.

Hi Spring

I'm new here too, but more of a beading newbie than you I'd love to try my hand at silversmithing but that's just not going to happen… I can imagine, though, that addiction would be rapid

Very nice blog. One thing - the link in your signature doesn't work. It's got extra characters that don't belong. It should read http://springjewellery.blogspot.co.uk not http://http/springjewellery.blogspot.co.uk

Hi Spring and welcome!

Like yourself, I'm a relative newcomer having started 9 months ago so am also in the process of building up a tool collection. Silversmithing is completely addictive but can bring so much pleasure especially when you create something you're especially proud of.

Hoep you find lots of hints and tips on this forum - I find it to be invaluable

Hello Spring! Welcome to our little communnity. Hope you find the people helpful and inspiring, and post some piccies soon!

Gemineer - thanks for the tip-off on the link, will fix that now! The addiction was very rapid - something about combining my love for pretty jewellery with being able to actually create it, that had me completely hooked after my first go!

Louisella76 - Ah, would be cool to know whether there are any particular tools you've acquired recently that you'd particularly recommend or wonder why you didn't get them earlier? I have just picked up a dremel for polishing (my most recent purchase) but still have a massive wishlist!

Kwant and Wheely - thanks for the welcome! I shall try and get around to posting pictures soon

Quote Originally Posted by springeth View Post
    ? I have just picked up a dremel for polishing (my most recent purchase)
    And there lieth a big bone of contention. Most here seem to lean towards big pendant motors with foot pedal. Dremel's always seen me right!

I use a Dremel for polishing too but that's primarily because I won it (courtesy of Cookson - thank you again!). It does a fantastic job however I must admit I am now looking into pendant drills as the Dremel can sometimes feel a bit bulky if I'm doing something detailed and I'd also like to have more control over the speed.

I've also recently purchased a tumbler which I love as I can polish multiple items in one go (From reading various reviews, I opted for the Lortone double barrel). I would have bought one earlier but it was the cost element which held me back

Like yourself, my wish list just keeps getting longer and longer and I've had to stop myself from jumping in and buying everything in one go (which is my usual option however I think my other half and my bank manager would go ballistic!).

Quote Originally Posted by springeth View Post
    Gemineer - thanks for the tip-off on the link, will fix that now! The addiction was very rapid - something about combining my love for pretty jewellery with being able to actually create it, that had me completely hooked after my first go!
    You're welcome Spring LOL sounds right

Yeah - ideally I'd love a proper pendant motor, but just can't justify the cost at the moment - so Dremel with flexi-shaft it had to be!

Next is definitely a tumbler for me too - I've even bought the stainless steel shot already. Not sure I'll be able to splash on a double barrel one though... can anyone vouch for the regular 3lb Cookson barrelling machine?