Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helloooooo!!!

Default Helloooooo!!!

Hi all! New member to CG's great looking forum I started making jewellery late last year, as part of a drive to find effective therapy. Having significant health problems and being long-term disabled, it's sadly true that I seldom get out of the house unless my wife, and sole carer (no! that doesn't mean she looks after my shoes!!), is not at work. We have three adult children, all of whom are building lives very nicely (though facing the mountainous "uphill struggle" of everyday modern life), and a total of five grandchildren (so far). My wife, Jenny or Jen, works full time (and often more) and is a veteran crafter, including beading of many kinds. As my bio hints, though, I didn't start jewellery making because Jen does it! I made the mistake(?) of scanning through the Sky channels and finding a particular channel of relevance (don't know if I'm allowed to say which one ). I naturally reported the find to Jen. It was only a matter of a few weeks before I had developed a fascination with gemstones! In short order (and with some triumph) Jen ordered certain items, including some for me! Before I realised what was happening, I was making jewellery!! Now, for good or evil, I'm hooked - addicted irrevocably! I even get depressed and shaky if I go too long without making something, or without acquiring some new gemstones. I've established that pharmacies do not stock anti-beading or anti-gemstone patches! I'm doomed and must simply accept the fact.

I do show my makes on my blog and I'm hoping to start selling some things soon, which will have to be online as I can't get out to craft fairs or such. WIth some luck, I'll show off some items here, if that's allowed. In the meantime, be prepared for daft questions from time to time!

hi
    I am new to this forum as well and re started jewellery making as a result of being off work currently for 6 months, (stir Crazy) gems are as you say addictive and although I can only work for a short time I find it very absorbing and the pain runs away for a while. I mostly make in silver and cast ingots from scrap so feel I have made everything from scratch. Take your time and enjoy it.

*waves to you both*

Welcome from me too Gem.
    Last edited by Kwant; 24-05-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: todays missing letter was "O" :0)

Welcome Gem,

Great to meet someone who like gems and maille.

A nice helm chain on your blog. I am thinking of making something very similar to that for my wife using two tones; say silver for the large and copper for the small rings. Or yellow and red gold if she is very lucky

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by vernon View Post
    hi
    I am new to this forum as well and re started jewellery making as a result of being off work currently for 6 months, (stir Crazy) gems are as you say addictive and although I can only work for a short time I find it very absorbing and the pain runs away for a while. I mostly make in silver and cast ingots from scrap so feel I have made everything from scratch. Take your time and enjoy it.
    Hi Vernon. I've long forgotten what it's like to not be stir crazy LOL. I have lengthy periods when I simply can't concentrate enough to do anything, including saying "Hi" When I do get on a roll, it certainly can help You're obviously far more advanced than I am! I'm certainly enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    *waves to you both*
    Thanks Medusa!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Welcome from me too Gem.
    Thanks Kwant

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Welcome Gem,

Great to meet someone who like gems and maille.

A nice helm chain on your blog. I am thinking of making something very similar to that for my wife using two tones; say silver for the large and copper for the small rings. Or yellow and red gold if she is very lucky

Julian
    Thanks Julian It's difficult to not like gems Maille is often a love-hate relationship LOL! Thanks - the chain just seemed perfect for that particular pendant. We don't have a large range of wires (can't afford them) so mostly it's hit or miss on what we can force to work for us lol. I like the sound of the silver and copper I'm a bit of a copper fan, though...

I made some maille having bought 10m of "sterling" wire from some French bloke on ebay, well I was not convinced it was actually silver but thought hmmm why not use it up to have a go at some maille. Well with the help of youtube and some several hours of mind bending, I found that it was very therapeutic and relaxing and used up all 10m making various (beginner) type chains.