Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Helloooooo!!!

Welcome to the forum Gemineer. Looked for the chain but couldn't find it. hope you will show us more here shortly, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemineer View Post
    Thanks Julian It's difficult to not like gems Maille is often a love-hate relationship LOL! Thanks - the chain just seemed perfect for that particular pendant. We don't have a large range of wires (can't afford them) so mostly it's hit or miss on what we can force to work for us lol. I like the sound of the silver and copper I'm a bit of a copper fan, though...

I heve never used this company but he have a vast selection of non precious metal in all colors.. http://wires.co.uk/index.html

You've got me tempted to post some earrings I made th show and tell.

Julian

Non precious metal brings me out in a rage well at least it does when it is christmas or birthdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    I made some maille having bought 10m of "sterling" wire from some French bloke on ebay, well I was not convinced it was actually silver but thought hmmm why not use it up to have a go at some maille. Well with the help of youtube and some several hours of mind bending, I found that it was very therapeutic and relaxing and used up all 10m making various (beginner) type chains.
    Sounds like it turned out to be a worthwhile buy anyway Kwant

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Welcome to the forum Gemineer. Looked for the chain but couldn't find it. hope you will show us more here shortly, Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis The maille is here Hopefully I'll be posting pics soon

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I heve never used this company but he have a vast selection of non precious metal in all colors.. http://wires.co.uk/index.html

You've got me tempted to post some earrings I made th show and tell.

Julian
    Thanks Julian, we bought a big reel of their silver-plated copper - lovely stuff to use

Definitely interested in seing your earrings

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    Non precious metal brings me out in a rage well at least it does when it is christmas or birthdays.
    Sadly, precious metal is way out of our price range, so it's plated or nothing I'm afraid, Kwant...

Unfortunately, plated metals area very bad idea for maille. With time, they inevitably chip or flake at every cut point, and can end up looking pretty nasty after very little wear, which is a great shame given the time taken to make. There are plenty of good bare metal alternatives though - copper, brass, bronze, aluminium and stainless steel all work very well, and anodised niobium or titanium hold their colour reasonably well, and at least don't chip.

My biggest worry is always seeing earwires handmade with plated wire. Unlike bought in (which are plated after cutting and fabrication), these can leave microscopic chips of plating in the piercing, and this can lead to some very nasty infections.

Doesn't matter how advanced or not just ENJOY!

Hi Gemineer, a belated welcome from me as well!!

Lorraine