Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Enamelling?

Default So Enamelling?

Of late I have become increasingly interested in having a go at enamelling. Seeing Carole and Fay's pieces for the monthly competition, which I really admired, and also having recently completed a commissioned piece, which I was asked to enamel but in fact ended up cold enamelling as I had no clue how to hot enamel.

What does one need to make a start? Can you just buy the enamel powders and the little sieve thing and get on with it or is there some kind of flux/glue you need? Can it all be done with a torch?

Any pointers would be gratefully received ;0)

I have looked on the net and for youtube stuff but it appears most folk assume a basic knowledge.

There is quite a lot to start you off in The Workbench Guide to Jewellery Techniques, by Anastasia Young. You might have it already Cornelius, but if not there are two editions with different covers (UK & USA). I believe the contents are the same.

I have never taken it up because I know if I do it will take over my life. Dennis.

you can just put the powders on with water but it's better to use some kind of gum. I do all my enamelling (repairing old jewellery) in a kiln. My one attempt at using a torch was a disaster, but I only had a butane torch. I find it really really satisfying.

Oh dear lol yes I do have that book and I must have just glazed over when I saw the chapter last time I picked it up, I will go and look now.

Looks like I might have to get a kiln then ...................... but as it is my bday in a couple of weeks I think I could treat myself.

The very best book on enamelling is by Linda Darty. It's a huge subject. You can either sift the powder or make it wet and paint it on. I mostly use a kiln but sometimes I torch fire. I'd always recommend doing a course to start you off though.

I would love to do a course Carole, but the only kinds of courses round here would be crepe making or something to do with farming :0) I shall certainly look on Amazon for that book though, but having just had a quick look through the book ( I rather stupidly did not think to look through in the first place) I have already as mentioned by Dennis has at least given me a better idea.

It is available on amazon France now should I go for the 14 euro copy or the one for 986.94 euros, decisions decisions :P
    Last edited by Kwant; 22-05-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: extra info

I've done a (very) little bit of enameling, with a kiln, will need to check which book I followed (and which worked) with a little trial and error......an image attached, I'll also try to attach an article I have which may be of some use.....Dennis is right....it could take over your life ;D....

will pm you the article Kwant
    Last edited by Tabby66; 23-05-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: attachments missing

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    I've done a (very) little bit of enameling, with a kiln, will need to check which book I followed (and which worked) with a little trial and error......an image attached, I'll also try to attach an article I have which may be of some use.....Dennis is right....it could take over your life ;D....

will pm you the article Kwant
    I do a lot of reticulation and have thought for some time that it would be nice to enamel over the reticulation, Tabby, could you also pm me that document.

Thanks,
    Les
    Poor old Les

Kiln ordered, sadly I have to wait till mid June as they are out of stock (which I read as they don't actually hold stock and have to order it in :0) ) now to order some of the bits and bobs it seems I will need on top of the enamels. Quite exciting nonetheless.

Sun is shining bbq for dinner so all is well in Kwant world.

arghhhhhhh all was going so well layer on layer all looking good this last firing has turned my little masterpiece into a Jackson Pollock waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah