Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So Enamelling?

I've got that one Di. It's lovely to look through but I haven't found it particularly useful as a "how to" book. Maybe I need to look again.

But you're far more advanced than me, Carole, perhaps that's why?
    Di x

I joined the guild of enamelers just for the magazine, really inspiring. I doubt there would be many impressed with my attempts though, they are pretty basic.

Ah, but mine are more basic because I'm just playing with a sampler atm, but I'm astounded that I can do that! And, it's rather pretty too.
    Di x

but my problem is I want to get lovely reds and purples! and those lovely jewelled dots. I guess I want to run before walking.

With reds in particular the right flux is crucial. I always use Soyer Silver flux on silver and Soyer copper flux on copper. In my opinion these are by far the best and are very reliable.

Default Enamelling Books

When I first started enamelling the best information I found was a leaflet from The Enamel Shop that was on Covent Garden. They are long gone but these books on my book shelf would be useful for beginners. I found it best to read as many as possible, because what one person leaves out as being obvious, someone else will include. So, on no particular order, here goes.
    Beginners Guide to Enamelling by Dorothy Cockrell published by Search Press
    Enamelling by Ruth Ball published by A & C Black
    The Art of Enamelling by Linda Darty, a personal favourite.
    The Art of Fine Enamelling by Karen L Cohen
    New Crafts Enamelling by Denise Palmer

The top one is very basic and mainly features projects on copper but is good for basics. Of course the Guild of Enamellers also have their own DVDs for sale which are excellent.

I've got most of those, Lindy - just missing out on the last two and my instincts say to go for the Art of Fine Enamelling. I've read all mine from cover to cover and back again and you're right, I think the Darty and the Ball in particular complement one another nicely.

Where do you get your enamels from? I have bought from WG Ball and Vitrum Signum with no real problem but Ball don't have much of a selection and the Vitrum Signum website is horrendous!
    Di x

Hello Di,

My enamellers recommend Milton Bridge for good enamels, especially when buying transparents, see; http://www.milton-bridge.co.uk/prod_...auer_trans.htm
    and http://www.milton-bridge.co.uk/prod_...hauer_opaq.htm

Schauer are considered excellent enamels by my trade enamellers.

James

I agree that Vitrum Signum website is rubbish but they're quite helpful if you ring them. There's also the enamel shop at Launceston. I mostly use Soyer transparents too. I had a lovely Soyer called sea green which I used for years. When I replaced it the sea green with the same number was a completely different colour and I haven't been able to find anything similar since. I now have to resort to mixing colours which isn't very scientific.