Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Artichoke Ring.

I like that Dennis - a really different setting

As always Dennis, rather beattiful. I particularly like the pendant.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

very beautiful - I strive for such acheivements. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    This year I was asked to make a new ring to wear with one of my old amethyst pendants.That has slices of square tube and wire as decorations, with some of them acting as claws, as shown in my fist picture.

For the ring I pierced out eight pairs of 0.3mm squares, joined at the corners, using graph paper for the template. The joins were scored, bent to a right angle and soldered. I usually make some extras in case of trouble and you can see one at the front of my second picture. The backplate for the cabochon was domed in an oval doming block and the centre cut out.

The shank was made from two 2.0mm round wire rings, crossed top and bottom, an idea derived from a test piece I kept from my ‘orbit’ pendant. Further experiments showed that the rings needed to be two sizes bigger than normal and the degree of crossing could then be adjusted to achieve the best fit.

The lozenge shaped claws proved too tough to push home completely, but the stone is firm and , suitably bluntened, I thought the artichoke effect quite fetching. But then I would say that, wouldn’t I?
    Dennis.
    Stunning pieces, Dennis! My wife loves amethyst - which is fortunate as it's her birthstone lol!