Thread: Can you recommend a plating company?

Default Can you recommend a plating company?

Hello,

I've not been on here for ages due to having a baby in December, but I'm coming to the end of my City and Guilds course and want to plate a necklace I've made in rose gold.

I've had various quotes from different companies ranging from £40 to £100, and frankly, I have no idea which one to choose. Can anyone recommend a plating company?

I'm not sure if it's against Cookson's forum rules to ask for recommendations about companies, so apologies if this is the case. If it IS against the rules, could I ask people to send me a private message about plating companies that they have used?

Many thanks,

Joanne

Hi Joanne,
    I have not used a plater, but the hand out from my college gives three in London:
    Elliott Fitzpatrick, EC1.
    Chayne and Close, EC1.
    City Gold Plating EC1. Sorry I can't be more specific, but if in doubt don't choose the rock bottom price, and be aware that plating is costed according to thickness and the plater should advise you of a suitable gauge for the piece you are sending. Dennis.

Many thanks Dennis. My college tutor thinks she once used the company who provided the cheapest quote, and said the finish was so bad, she ended up taking it all off and having it redone elsewhere. I agree about avoiding rock-bottom prices. City Gold Plating is one of the companies who replied, so good to know that they are recommended by your college, if not by you personally.