Thread: Soldering problems!

Default Soldering problems!

Morning all

I'm having a rather frustrating morning trying to finish off a necklace. The centre piece is set on wire with chain attached to a jump ring on either end. I've asembled the centre pieces (which consists of onyx spacers and silver pendants) however am having real problems soldering the last jump ring / chain on the actual wire.

The jump ring itself is heating fine and the solder is running however for some reason, the wire won't heat up therefore I can't get the two to connect. I've cleaned the wire to make sure there's a clean connection however it's still not heating. I've tried different solders too and although all are running on the jumpring, nothing is transferring along the wire. I did originally have technoflux further down the wire (as well the chain) but have since cleaned it off as wasn't sure if that was causing the problem but it doesn't appear to be that.

I'm using a hand held butane torch and have tried heating from different angles but still nothing grrr. This wire is even more stubborn that I am!

Any suggestions please??
    Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-13 10.54.11.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	3603

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Good Morning

it may be the bead is behaving like a heat sink. Have you tried coating it in a heat sheild? They both need to reach the same temperature at the same time, otherwise the hottest one will get all the solder attached to it, given that solder flows towards heat. Have you tried to put the solder on the far side of the seam, heat the oposite side so it pulls it through? I take it you are keeping the gentle flame moving too?

perhaps if you use some tweezers on the jump ring to act as it's own heat sink, that may help balance things out.

hope you get it sorted.

Wallace
    Last edited by Wallace; 13-05-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling, it is always the spelling! lol

Hi Wallace

I did wonder whether it was the onyx causing the problem - I have tried covering it with Technoflux to keep the heat from it but that didn't work either. I'm not sure what other type of heat shield I could try (someone one suggested wet newspaper but not sure whether that would work)?

I'll certainly try with the tweezers on the other side as haven't given that a go yet (and may say me from yet another jump ring - I'm on my third now!)

When you say to try putting the solder on the far side of the seam, do you mean the seam on the jumpring?

Sarah

p.s. and yes, I've kept the flame moving over the area

If all else fails, perhaps you could put a loop on that straight wire and then just solder the jump ring closed. of course you would have to do the same on the other side of your piece, but it may save you some frustration and obviate the possibility of that onyx bead being damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by louisella76 View Post
    Hi Wallace

I did wonder whether it was the onyx causing the problem - I have tried covering it with Technoflux to keep the heat from it but that didn't work either. I'm not sure what other type of heat shield I could try (someone one suggested wet newspaper but not sure whether that would work)?

When you say to try putting the solder on the far side of the seam, do you mean the seam on the jumpring?

Sarah

Technoflux is a pain! lol it gets everywhere and then dries like a crispy grasshopper. nom, nom.

Wet newspaper will dry very quickly and may end up with more problems for you (visions flashing of floating ash still cindering)

options are as follows:
    cleaned up parts ready for solder and heat guarded.

hold jump ring in place with soldering tweezers

borax flux over area requiring soldering and heated through until in a glass like state, unless of course you are using paste. That doesn't need fluxing and is pretty good for most jump rings.

I would guess easy solder is the best option here given the stones you are working with. This may be the tricky part, I always heat my pallions into a ball (seems to work the best for me and reduces porosity -holes in the solder)

place pallion on top of area to be soldered and heat from the other side. (or paste if you have chosen that route).

go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    If all else fails, perhaps you could put a loop on that straight wire and then just solder the jump ring closed. of course you would have to do the same on the other side of your piece, but it may save you some frustration and obviate the possibility of that onyx bead being damaged.
    or you could the brilliant suggestion provided by Cornelius.

Last edited by Wallace; 13-05-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo and paste info added

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Technoflux is a pain! lol it gets everywhere and then dries like a crispy grasshopper. nom, nom.
    LOL! I was wondering what to have for dinner tonight

Well Wallace and Kwant, I have to send you both a BIG thank you for saving my sanity as I managed to get it to work. I went for the loops straight on the wire in the end and to be honest think it actually works better than my original idea!

Here's the finished piece...I'm off for a large glass of wine now

Sarah x
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver & Onyx.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	3612

Very stylish, great combination of texture and colour from the onyx. Glad it all worked out in the end.

very, very nice. Enjoy the vino!

Well done on a great job - it looks lovely.

don't forget the tooth pick, grasshopper legs can get stuck between the teeth! lol

Thank you both for your lovely feedback - I'm giving it to my friend this weekend so really hope she likes it (does that nervous feeling before you hand something over ever wear off??)

As for dinner, the grasshoppers went well with a chilled sauv blanc

Quote Originally Posted by louisella76 View Post
    Thank you both for your lovely feedback - I'm giving it to my friend this weekend so really hope she likes it (does that nervous feeling before you hand something over ever wear off??)

As for dinner, the grasshoppers went well with a chilled sauv blanc
    if she doesn't like it, I will send you my addy!" lol She will love it.

nom, nom..... glug, glug!