Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lacquer for stopping copper tarnishing or preserving patina??

Thanks for asking the question taylordebs. I use Renaissance Wax but good to know there's a decent lacquer out there.

I do handstamped silver jewellery and a lot of customers ask for crystals to be added to the designs I create for them. Although it is a slight issue with crystals on necklaces my main problem is with charms I make for bracelets because with our arms/hands moving so much the crystals tend to scratch the surface of the silver. Someone has suggested Protectaclear....would any of you know if this would help prevent/minimise the scratching from the crystals or does it not give a thick enough layer?

Thanks

Lacquering silver deprives it of its natural lustre and scratched lacquered silver will begin to tarnish in the scratches, so my first reaction is to say lacquering will make things much worse.

It is an interesting problem though, which I have not encountered even in bracelets with lots of charms. Where and how are your christals included, and could you use smoother ones? A picture would help, Daisy.

All my charms are textured in one way or another and not highly polished so maybe that is what disguises any scratches. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 26-10-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Thanks, Dennis.

On a different laptop at the minute so have none of my photos stored on it, I'll try and explain....I have, say, a 15mm sterling silver disc onto which I've stamped a name and then I add a Swarovski crystal (the crystal and disc hang from the same jump ring) so that it dangles at the front of the disc. Now with hands moving so much I'm finding the crystal sways across the disc and within a short space of time it's scratching the disc quite badly. What I started to do was punching out a biggish hole in the disc to make a washer and then the crystal nestled nicely in the hole and scratching was minimised but not all customers want the washer. Doming the disc does help slightly but the scratching does still happen.

Hope I've explained that a bit better

The obvious answer might be to use gemstone beads rather than crystals? Higher perceived value as well.

I've thought of doing that, George, but everyone just seems to want the Swarovski crystals in birthstone colours. I've tried the round ones rather than the bicones but they still seem to scratch. Not really sure there's a solution to the problem

You surprise me daisydaisy (sorry, don't know your real name) - I've been making birthstone jewellery for years and have yet to have a single customer ask for a crystal rather than a 'real' gemstone. I never use crystals, not least because they break far too easily, but I suppose some people are just after bling!

I guess you're right....lots of people just like the sparkle of the crystals. I'd much prefer a gemstone myself. Before I started the hand stamped jewellery I went through a phase of making the Shamballa style bracelets as so many of my customers were asking for them....I'll tell you, I was close to losing the will to live with the amount of those beads I was looking at every day!

Do you have any suggestions as to the best place to purchase good quality gemstones? Perhaps I should make it my mission to convert my customers!

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
    Do you have any suggestions as to the best place to purchase good quality gemstones?
    I think many people here would suggest http://www.aewgems.co.uk/. They sell to the trade, their prices are fair and they are helpful on the phone, Dennis.