Thread: Repairing broken earring peg & stone setting

Default Repairing broken earring peg & stone setting

Hello,

I am new to the forum and wondered whether anyone has a solution or will I have to start again. I spent ages making a mount to set a garnet to some earrings. As I was nearing finished setting the stone, (the earring was being supported in a vice (rubber jaws)), I realised that the earring peg had snapped off. Now I realised that maybe I should have secured the earring in setting wax instead. Is there anyway that I can repair the broken earring peg? I have some thermo-gel paste but am worried about re-soldering a new peg since the seat that the stone is sitting on is only approx 2mm and the heat may damage the garnet. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks ...

As far as I know and according to this chart

http://www.cooltools.us/v/vspfiles/a...Metal_Clay.pdf (I use this chart when firing stones into metal clay with a torch, and so far it has served me well)

garnets will take heat, and if you were to use your heat protection paste and easy solder it would seem you might get away with it, do of course remember you cannot quench and have to let the work cool in its own time. Having said that there is always a risk, for example if there are any faults in the stone etc.

Oh and hello :0)

Hello Kwant, that's really helpful. Thank you. Will give it a go over the weekend. Hopefully by then, I will be feeling braver..

Well it all depends on what you treasure most. For me the matching garnet would take priority and I would prize it out with with a knife or screw driver after making some saw cuts in the metal. Then I would re-make the earring.

For setting it is useful to have a small offcut of wood, about 4.5 x 9.0 x 2.0 cm. On one side you can make a deep groove to accept brooch findings and pins. On the other you drill 1.0 mm holes, deep enough to insert earring posts.

Then to set your stones, you tape your piece to the wood with plenty of masking tape. The findings and posts will be protected in their groove or holes, leaving only the rim of your setting exposed. This will hold it firm for setting and also protect your piece from setting marks.

If you feel happier using a vice, then it's the wood you clamp, not your work. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-06-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Oh, thanks Dennis. Now I am in a bit of a quandary... Will have a good think since the garnets are matching...

Oh dear Dennis, do you mean I should not be drilling into my ikea workbench willy nilly as needs must?

I believe it's called customising Cornelius, but I think the advantage of my offcut is that I can turn it every which way while I am working (I don't bother with the vice).
    Also you need more floor space to keep turning your bench.
    Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.

See now Dennis that is why you are an expert and I am but an amateur.......... as I huff and puff turning my bench :0)

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwant View Post
    See now Dennis that is why you are an expert and I am but an amateur.......... as I huff and puff turning my bench :0)
    there you go, you can get exercising with this lifestyle afterall. I knew I was doing it wrong spinning in my chair ;oP