Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What solder do I use???

Default What solder do I use???

I am making a bracelet with beads and silver, and have just realised in a real 'doh' moment that having put the beads on .5mm wire, and used 1mm connecting rings, I am going to have to solder the rings closed.
    Problem is, I can't use any form of pickle or it will ruin the beads.
    I know there is a solder I can use that does not need pickling, but can't remember which one.
    Last edited by t1ggerk1ns; 28-04-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling

The only type of soldering that wouldn't need a pickle to remove oxide would be lead soldering & that wouldn't be ideal.
    Is there any way you could use a cold connection?

Nothing I can think of.
    It was one of those things where I got carried away with what looked good, and then realised that the design left me with a potential weakness on the joints.

Fine silver can be fused without the need for solder, might that do the trick?

Not sure, wouldn't it possibly be a bit too soft?

What are the beads made of then? 0.5mm wire would quickly open under tension, so how is it being used? A picture of what you have in mind would certainly help. You could also do an experiment to see whether a single bead would be damaged in pickle. For instance alum as a pickle might be more benign and you probably know already not to quench beads before they are cold.

When you say there is a solder that does not need pickling, I think you may be referring to flux. For instance borax forms a glass which requires pickle to remove it, whereas Auflux comes off in water. All hallmarking quality solders require pickling of the piece after soldering to restore the original colour. Dennis.

I recall the some people claim not to use Pickering wit argentinium silver, but I gues it's to late or that. You woul still need flux I would think.

Julian

without seeing a picture or knowing what the beads are made of, could you adjust the design to either use smaller jump rings (a jump ring made of 1mm wire with an inner diameter of less than 4mm should be more than strong enough without soldering), or preclose and solder the rings before adding the other components?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by t1ggerk1ns View Post
    I am making a bracelet with beads and silver, and have just realised in a real 'doh' moment that having put the beads on .5mm wire, and used 1mm connecting rings, I am going to have to solder the rings closed.
    Problem is, I can't use any form of pickle or it will ruin the beads.
    I know there is a solder I can use that does not need pickling, but can't remember which one.
    I may be going off at a tangent here (nothing new!) But, can you not add an additional bead that will behave like a stopper on the connecting rings? That way no soldering would be needed.

also, I have soldered a link before and although not ideal, have sanded and buffed it back rather than pickle. But there are different types of pickle you could use. White vinegar/salt will work as will lemon/salt - just so very slowly you may have wished you had sanded and buffed it back. Be mindful both salt and acids will erode into metals... especially copper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3lDtA-YPs some hints and tips on using it.

So, after talking to a customer of mine, the bracelet morphed into a necklace. The beads are black lava and carnelian.