Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to make a silver knot bracelet please?

I don't think PMC would be anywhere near strong enough for an open bangle like this...

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

I'm wondering whether that original bangle was cast as I certainly wouldn't be strong enough to tie a knot in a thick piece of silver.

Yes I wondered that, you would never tie that even with the help of a vice to hold the end, it looks quite thick.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'm wondering whether that original bangle was cast as I certainly wouldn't be strong enough to tie a knot in a thick piece of silver.

I'm quite tempted to enlist a couple of rufty tufty fellas to help me make one! Or try it with 2mm wire...

I did make a knot ring with copper pmc by making a mould of a bit of string with a knot in and going from there. Worked really well!

Melanie

http://www.spinysharklythings.com

Just for the sake of experimentation, I grabbed a bit of 3mm scrap copper wire that was on my bench and did this:

with two pairs of pliers - one half round and the other parallel. It took a bit of wriggling, but wasn't hard to do - and this was unannealed, previously worked wire. I haven't centered it up properly as I was just playing around, but it would be pretty easy to tidy up. So I don't think it would be that hard to do with heavier wire as long as it was well annealed (probably several times).

Two minds, one thought.
    While George was doing that, all I had to hand was some incredibly hard 4.00 mm brass rod. I started it with a ring bending tool and below is where I got to with my home made drawbench, annealing many times and using lubricant spray.

After that it simply would not anneal any more, but I’m sure silver would knot much better and also straighten well under tension. As the position of the knot is not entirely predictable, you would need excess length and trim the ends. My knot, insufficiently closed, took up 10cm of wire. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ring Bending Tool.jpg   Drawbench.jpg   IMG_2545.jpg   IMG_2548.jpg  

So knot possible then :0)

As far as working the knot closed goes, I wondered if some small Delrin or wooden punches would help the process along?

Some time back we were pointed to a guy who did a magical feat with something or other using a home made draw bench and hmmm tube I think, using a draw plate as a block to exert the pressure to perform the magic. LOL I cannot for the life of me remember what he was up to, but the idea of using the draw plate to block the knot and pulling against the draw plate to close the knot, turning it round and doing the same for the other side may also be a way of tightening the knot.

Making coiled tubing?