Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Custom / precision cuts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    260

    Default Custom / precision cuts

    In another thread I mentioned the cut of a stone taking into account he refractive index of the gemstone material. In the US particularly, but around e world as well there are cutters the take pride in custom cutting. The results are amazing, as is the price! I'll let Uli Zeisberg explained it better than I can;

    http://www.osirisgems.com/precision_cutting

    Hear is what he did with some quartz




    Hear are some US Links;

    http://tucsongemshow.blogspot.com/20...wins-idar.html
    http://www.johndyergems.com/awards.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,744

    Default

    that is stunning! it almost looks like it could be... well not real!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    8,068

    Default

    I had something similar from Marcus McCallum a while back in pale amethyst, which originated in South America. Unfortunately I can only show a scan from my photo album.

    There were smaller ones for earrings to match and they were very pale. So I glued on cabs in the centres with slow setting Devcon which is clear and waterproof. No doubt regarded as sacrilegious. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fancy Amethyst.jpg  

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    There were smaller ones for earrings to match and they were very pale. So I glued on cabs in the centres with slow setting Devcon which is clear and waterproof. No doubt regarded as sacrilegious. Dennis.

    lol - our tutor would have made a fun remark I am sure. Not sure where this came from, but he included this with our lightning tour of stone setting.



    the setters eye test (an instructive set of reminders we were given) said this:

    The sloppy setters tools:
    1 blunt chisel
    2 bent nail
    3 heavy hammer
    4 Arekdeute (large size)
    5 Superglue (for urgent jobs)
    6 Frosted eye glass
    7 plastice padding (to fill in mistakes)
    8 sun glasses (as dark as possible)


    I use superglue for sticking metal together prior to soldering sometimes - and as an emergency plaster..

    Devcon is great - keeps things stuck for years!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I use superglue for sticking metal together prior to soldering sometimes - and as an emergency plaster..
    I tend to shy away from the latter; the medical cyanoacrylate does have a different formulation which doesn't lend itself quite so readily to skin irritation. It's also very easy to seal crud into the wound when you're gluing the things together.
    That said, if I need to use it for that (on me, outside of work only!) it happens - but only if I haven't any Dermabond handy.

    My other use for CA is to glue fancy stones onto metal, table down, then hit them with a blast of CA accelerator. The stones can then be scribed around for subsequent seat cutting, then the CA dissolved away in acetone. Obvious caveats apply - won't work well with asymmetric, dyed or porous stones and involves the use of VOCs...
    Last edited by ps_bond; 25-04-2012 at 10:35 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I tend to shy away from the latter; the medical cyanoacrylate does have a different formulation which doesn't lend itself quite so readily to skin irritation. It's also very easy to seal crud into the wound when you're gluing the things together.
    That said, if I need to use it for that (on me, outside of work only!) it happens - but only if I haven't any Dermabond handy.
    I was given the advice by a local A&E after a visit. Again it is only as an emergency and only after a cleaned out wound and only if it is no bigger than 1 mm. But Dermabond would of course be the best option.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I was given the advice by a local A&E after a visit.
    Tsk, tsk - they normally go for "do as I say not as I do" But equally, I've used gaffer tape to fix a dressing for a scalp wound before now. Worked like a charm - but there's a difference between what's taught & officially allowed (and covered by insurance) and what is field-expedient.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    .... I've used gaffer tape to fix a dressing for a scalp wound before now. Worked like a charm - but there's a difference between what's taught & officially allowed (and covered by insurance) and what is field-expedient.
    owwwwweee! Not sure I should ask? But.....

    I reckon they must have become fed up in the early days of my learning and constant near misses with a saw and my finger tips (I am talking seven years ago and community hospitals) lol
    I don't have medical insurance via a private company, only the national insurance I pay for - so it could be a bit of a hit and miss there too, I feel, sometimes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brittany
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Peter what is a CA accelerator is it necessary or can you just wait? And good to know about the acetone removing it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    4,970

    Default

    Not necessary, but it is handy. My last lot came from Axminster (and it stinks, by the way!). Acetone is an effective superglue remover, but you really shouldn't use it on skin (actually, that one's a bit worse for you than my "you shouldn't superglue wounds").

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •