Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering cufflinks???

Lol, this is going to sound utterly stupid, but I never thought to file the little bump off, so I punch a hole in the cufflink top... although this does keep the whole thing central

Thank you Carole, I'll remember that.
    Nicola

Default Soldering PMC

I've done a bit of experimenting with soldering Sterling onto PMC.
    Like MuranoSilver sez, you need a lot more solder, because the PMC is porous.

If you polish with a magnetic polisher, make sure you netralise any acid from your pickle by soaking the piece in a bicarb solution before polishing it. Otherwise, the residual acid will copper-plate your silver!!
    I found this out to my cost

I did my first set of pmc/sterling cufflinks today and I didn't want to pickle them because the last time I pickled an item with a hidden steel spring, the spring died and all the items turned pink! What's your experience of this - do you pickle the complete cufflink?

Also, I have to say that even though I was careful not to put too much heat on the cufflink mechanism itself, the little end caps that cover the spring came off and I had to glue them back in - was it still too much heat that made them come apart? The spring seems to have been unaffected.

Thank you oh experienced ones...

Jasmin

Default Help customer collecting tomorrow!!!!!

Hi everyone, I am having trouble with the solder situation! I am trying to solder cuff links, am using the cookson gold ones and following Munrosilvers video to a tee (or so I thought....) but the backs just fall off! What do you think is going wrong? I am using solder paste, am not heating the finding but lowering it onto the solder on the silver clay piece as per the video. The solder is def 'flowing' when I put the 2 bits together. HELP!!! Should I be heating the finding and link together and in place? Or is super glue the best option and then leave the country before the customer realises.......

My pieces are now starting to look messy and I am unsure what to do to recover them - do I file the left on solder off before I start again? And on that note how do I 'tidy' up the solder once they are attached (assuming I manage it). ;(