Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting chain!

Default Interesting chain!

Can we have some more diverse chain and finished necklaces please!!!
    (again aka US style!)
    Em

Default Some of my chains.

Sorry - you lost me with the aka US style.

You wanted more chain.....this is a photo of some of the fine (999) silver chains I sent for hallmarking a couple of weeks ago. Not very clear I know - and a lot of duplicates - but I rather liked the image! (I would love to be able to get good close up photos of my chains to post on my website as the ones I have got are really naff. I have only got a point and shoot type of digital camera - no lights - no skills with photoshop...what can a girl do???!)
    Barbara

Red face Sorry! Wrong thread!!

Sorry - I've just noticed what the thread was...Now I understand about the US bit as well Emma!!! I just picked it up of the 'New Posts' list and didn't realise it was a Cookson's Wish List....apologies all!

Lol - great picture though yep Cooksons what EmmaRose said
    get some Solunar style chains in
    Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Thumbs up

Ooooh I love that long almost rectangular shaped chain, sixth in from the left. I tend to get snake, belcher or trace chains, a lot of the others on offer remind me of old fashioned mass made jewellery, so more options would be great!.

Totally agree - more loose chain would be great!

Out of interest, are all those over 7.78g Barbara?

Love the pic - and the chains - Barbara. Maybe Cooksons are looking for a new supplier

BTW - taking this even more off topic (but only for a second) I'm a cockney too!

love
    Di
    x

Great assortment of gorgeous chains

How do you get your more delicate silver chains hallmarked? Do you need to have a tag with a soldered ring on the end that can be stamped? Do all the links need to be soldered as well?

Questions, questions ~ until recently I'd not made a bracelet or chain that was heavy enough to be hallmarked and managed to escape the routine, but I made a chainmaille one recently that was over the 7.78g limit and kept it for myself...any old excuse
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Red face A few answers and a lot of words!!

Thanks for your sweet comments Kym, Di, George and Charlotte. I didn't realise this post was still live...especially as I gate crashed it!!

The rectangular link one is really just an elongated oval link...and that is the style I have put on my website, unhallmarked, for silver clay users...if they want a fine silver chain for their fine silver creations...

A couple of my heavier designs do go over the weight limit but I decided to go the hallmarking route because I make chains with fine silver...but if I don't hallmark them as 999, who is going to believe they are any different to sterling?...it also means I can do necklace chains too - which often go over the weight limit. I did think about it a lot before I took the plunge...but I'm glad I did. I am registered at Edinburgh - who are supposed to be the best and most sympathetic hallmarkers of silver clay work - and they are really lovely, helpful people. As it happened they were also the cheapest Assay Office to register with.

All of my links need to be fused closed as fine silver is too weak to risk in an open link bracelet and I attach a pmc tag (with a fused link) that has a sort of basic logo for Solunar Silver Studio (but I want to get a proper logo stamp made when I can afford it!). They hallmark the back of the tag - but as the mark is 0.5mm high they said they could put it on the chain if I wanted to have it there.

It is a costly process though...mainly because of the registered post and insurance needed for sending the package both ways...and the Assay Office charge a set rate just to open the package(!!) before they charge for the actual hallmarks...which strangely is only pennies each piece! So it pays to save up a huge stash before sending it off!! But they get it done and returned within 4 or 5 days in my experience - so I'm very happy with them!!

Sorry ! I've written a bit of an essay here!! ...but hope it helps!
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Totally agree - more loose chain would be great!

Out of interest, are all those over 7.78g Barbara?
    Ok i know i am new but can someone please explain to me what all this weight obsession is about? is it purely to do with hallmarking or what? cos i cannot get my head round it!
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away