Thread: 3D Laser Scanning

Default 3D Laser Scanning

Does anyone know of a company that does 3D laser scanning at a reasonable cost. I have submitted some enquiries to a number of companies, but the prices are prohibitive.

My alternative is to invest in equipment and software myself. Has anyone got/used David 3D Scanner, which seems very cheap, and I am wondering what results to expect in terms of resolution etc.

My initial need for this is for a project to cast a small statuette (pewter and possibly bronze or silver), but I have other projects in mind.

Any suggestions and/or guidance would be appreciated.

Hi GoldAnchor,

One of our contact centre staff is a jewellery graduate herself and is currently using the services of the Innovation Centre here in the Jewellery Quarter: http://www.bcu.ac.uk/business/our-re...ovation-centre

I am currently looking into this for you and will be able to have a conversation with her tomorrow in order to find out more information.

I will keep you updated!

As previously suggested, the Innovation Centre can create a 3D Print from a model or drawing ( it has been mentioned that the cheaper way would be providing a drawing).

I would ring them to discuss.

Thanks LittleGem, I will indeed make contact with the Innovation Centre and see if they are able to help, but it is not so much a "print" I need as a data file suitable for CAD/CAM manufacture of a casting pattern. But they may also be able to so this possibly. Thanks again ........