Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help me save time

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Hi, would a guilotine work, I got a sheet of 1mm stainless steel cut by my daughters boyfriend who works at a sawmill, and that worked, not sure how much it would be to buy one tho. Just another idea to add to the pot. Pat
    I did think of this but decided that the guillotine crush marks would be a pain to remove, thank you for your suggestion though.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    As Peter says, the tooling idea depends on your economy of scale, setting up with a press and tools can cost thousands. If you can get hold of a second hand press then I can suggest the Hunton tool holders, I have one of these that I used cutting various sizes of circles up to 2 inch diameter, but you have to be making sufficient to cover the costs of the dies and punches. See; http://www.hartleige.com/product/fly...ts-and-tooling
    You could purchase your own blanking out dies and then get a press company to do the work for you if you do not wish to buy a press.
    Looking at your photos, I think I would consider making a casting pattern with perhaps 10 squares on it, then get the squares cast, this would be the cheapest method of reproduction.
    James
    Casting pattern would be a very good idea, I could make the initial pieces from wax then have them cast, or maybe cut metal, solder join it with wire and get Vipa to make a mould, this suggestion has legs I think, thanks.
    Steve

When I need squares, I usually slice the appropriate square wire stock with the help of a chenier cutter, so the edges are guaranteed square. It helps to adjust the spacing washers on it, so that your saw blade fits closely. I find the saw marks can be quite decorative, or can quickly be rubbed off on a diamond plate, or flat abrasive surface. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by bruggen View Post
    Casting pattern would be a very good idea, I could make the initial pieces from wax then have them cast, or maybe cut metal, solder join it with wire and get Vipa to make a mould, this suggestion has legs I think, thanks.
    Steve
    Not sure if you want any suggestions, but if I was going to cast squares in tens, then I would make my casting pattern from metal like the sketch below, I would pierce and file ten squares, fractionally larger than needed and I would drill the central holes smaller than needed as castings will shrink slightly making the squares smaller and the central hole larger. I would solder the squares onto a 4mm. central rod and then bright polish the lot. Then send it to the caster and they will make the mold and waxes, for repeat orders I would return the central rods as scrap so that the caster could re use them on my next order.
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squares casting pattern.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	3411

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Not sure if you want any suggestions, but if I was going to cast squares in tens, then I would make my casting pattern from metal like the sketch below, I would pierce and file ten squares, fractionally larger than needed and I would drill the central holes smaller than needed as castings will shrink slightly making the squares smaller and the central hole larger. I would solder the squares onto a 4mm. central rod and then bright polish the lot. Then send it to the caster and they will make the mold and waxes, for repeat orders I would return the central rods as scrap so that the caster could re use them on my next order.
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squares casting pattern.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	3411
    All good advice, think I have some 4mm brass rod which solders nicely to silver for the master, maybe worth putting different thickness's and sizes on the one sprue that way all will be catered for, returning the sprue seems like a good idea, I tend to keep them and make silly things like the image below, my wife saw it in a shop window and took a photo of it, the one in the window was base metal, possibly silver plated but at £25 think not silver.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dust 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	3412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dust.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	3413
    So can not take credit for the design, even though it differs quite a bit. Thanks for the advice though James I was wondering what would be the best pattern.
    Steve/Bruggen

Have you thought about using PMC? If you had some square cutters you'd get them done in no time.

That is exactly what I thought of Carole when I read this question this morning and said nothing because I thought it might work out expensive, though it would surely give the opportunity to have varying thicknesses easily and that little something extra one gets from the slightly organic nature of the PMC.

.... and you could use one of those plastic chip cutters you use in the kitchen to cut multiple squares at the same time.
    Last edited by Kwant; 09-03-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: an extra thought

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Have you thought about using PMC? If you had some square cutters you'd get them done in no time.
    Another good idea though to make a few hundred would I think work out very expensive for what they are, I need around 40 for a necklace and 24 for a bracelet. They would then be 999 silver which would not tarnish and the organic handmade look does appeal to me, may try that, gram for gram the casting route seems the best option but thanks Carolallen and Kwant, always good to hear your ideas.
    Last edited by bruggen; 09-03-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

I cannot let this subject rest without another suggestion. It just grieves me that you are proposing to pay out good money for something you could well do yourself, or get into using overpriced clay. You will find that clay brings with it its own problems.

Rectangular wire can be bought in various useful sizes and could be quickly cut to equal lengths, to make squares, on the chenier cutter mentioned above. If you have a rolling mill you can first roll this down further as required. If not, you would get a better return investing in a mill than paying others for services or using clay.

By the way, fine silver does not get fire stain, because that is copper oxide, but it tarnishes like Billio, because that is caused by the formation of silver sulphide. To prevent your stock from tarnishing keep it in a closed box, or polythene bag with an anti-tarnish tab. Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-03-2012 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I cannot let this subject rest without another suggestion. It just grieves me that you are proposing to pay out good money for something you could well do yourself, or get into using overpriced clay. You will find that clay brings with it its own problems.

Rectangular wire can be bought in various useful sizes and could be quickly cut to equal lengths, to make squares, on the chenier cutter mentioned above. If you have a rolling mill you can first roll this down further as required. If not, you would get a better return investing in a mill than paying others for services or using clay.
    By the way, fine silver does not get fire stain, because that is copper oxide, but it tarnishes like Billio, because that is caused by the formation of silver sulphide. To prevent your stock from tarnishing keep it in a closed box, or polythene bag with an anti-tarnish tab. Regards, Dennis.
    Many thanks Dennis, I had discounted the 'over-priced silver clay' I already knew that it did not tarnish because of the absence of copper but I didn't know of the formation of silver sulphide, I have noticed that it does go brown though and that explains it, thanks. I have a Durston Mill and will certainly investigate the square stock idea.
    I can't help thinking that the amount of time sawing through an 8x8mm piece of square stock would be arduous especially when I would need so many (if I start selling the items) I would be able to round the edges in a one'r but would still spend an inordinate amount of time polishing the surfaces, plus the amount of metal loss through sawing would be wasteful I think.
    Buying 8mm or 6mm strips in varied thickness's from Cooksons is what I do at the moment and at around 70-90p per gram (dependent on choice and quantity) it isn't too bad but as I said labour intensive. The casting route is probably a good one because the basic metal price is cheaper 60p/g (ish) I would incur casting costs and the unit price would then probably be about the same, the finishing time though would be less and as long as the original masters were of a suitable standard it might work.
    I will have another look at the square stock and maybe have a go, the 6mm square would be less of an outlay to try so I will give it a go. Not sure who can supply 6mm and 8mm stock but I will have a look, many thanks Dennis for taking the time to think.
    Regards Steve/Bruggen