Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help me save time

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

BTW on a previous thread (cutting cones conundrum) the cones didn't take off enough metal to make the corners less sharp, even when left on over night, so that was nearly £100 wasted, the surface finish though was a very pleasing matt dusty look, no good for the squares but worth doing on other pieces.

can't you go into business and then get the government to pay an unemployed young person to do it for you as work experience? More fun that stacking shelves at poundland!

On a more serious note, I have to say I really really like your stuff. Maybe just factor in the fact that they are all done by hand into the final price?

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    can't you go into business and then get the government to pay an unemployed young person to do it for you as work experience? More fun that stacking shelves at poundland!

On a more serious note, I have to say I really really like your stuff. Maybe just factor in the fact that they are all done by hand into the final price?
    Tried to get my very lazy 17yr old to do some but he got bored after about six tiles, he wouldn't be attentive either (something to do with the screaming headphones I think) so ended up getting them square myself and having to enlarge the holes that were all off centre. So although tongue in cheek, that wouldn't work either, so it's back to COOP where he does actually stock shelves!
    Thank you for your kind comments regarding my stuff, not got a real website at the moment that I can update (it was made by a friend two years ago) I have quite a bit on Facebook SCW Designs Jewellery, please have a look. Factoring the final price is very difficult, the by hand bit is a selling point but people just don't want to pay for that sort of workmanship, price seems to be the overriding factor.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1808.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	3414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1828.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	3415

Here are a couple more, the earrings are fun to make though quite time consuming, the pins are all made from wire too.

heh, young people today!

I find it funny what people will pay for. People will willingly pay £50 for a tiny bit of mass-produced tat like a pandora bead, but think that something made by hand to someone's individual designs is over-priced. I am seriously thinking of substantially jacking my prices. I seem to be working for nothing at the moment.

Hear Hear! know exactly what you mean, I get the same face, well it's not as if it's from a real jewellers! It exasperates me, when I need my car serviced though and it's £25 an hour for the grease monkey's time, don't get me started, grumpy old men!!!

Hi,
    A little off topic, but can just say that your work is stunning. I've looked at your facebook page and there are some beautiful pieces on there.
    I was surprised that they weren't available for purchase. Do you sell your work anywhere?
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Lane View Post
    Hi,
    A little off topic, but can just say that your work is stunning. I've looked at your facebook page and there are some beautiful pieces on there.
    I was surprised that they weren't available for purchase. Do you sell your work anywhere?
    Suzanne
    Hello Suzanne, many thanks for the very complimentary feedback, nearly all of the items on Facebook are available for sale directly, I'm not very good at selling or marketing, I do have some bits in a shop outside of Leicester, am just about to put some boxes in my local hairdresser's shop and will be meeting with my Swarovski crystal supplier, not sure if I can sell through Facebook so that is why there are few or no prices on anything, you are welcome to email or call at any time.
    I do have a website but it was made by a friend and has not been updated for two years, I have asked on many occasions but he is too busy, he did it for free so I can't whinge too much. My aim is to sort out an e-commerce site but it is expensive to get one set up, I have looked at the free ones and they all have limitations, so my aim is to save for one.
    Steve/Bruggen

have you thought about selling on etsy or folksy? I've sold quite a bit through them.

Hi - No answer to your question but admiration for your jewellery. Where did you get those earhooks from, are they Cookson's? Very elegant.
    Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    have you thought about selling on etsy or folksy? I've sold quite a bit through them.
    I have accounts with both and did put some stuff on but it didn't sell and I lost heart. Not put any of my recent stuff on though.