Thread: The Year Two Thousand; A History

Default The Year Two Thousand; A History

At the turn of the millennium, we were warned that all our computers would crash and that the world would descend into chaos. Some bought software to guard against this. Nothing happened.

On a more minor note, we experimented with a new fad for decorating brooches, emanating from a prestigious London school. A printed image was fixed to a metal backing with adhesive and passed through the rolling mill. I could not see the logic of this, but saw it as some kind of ritual to make it acceptable as jewellery.

Here is my class project from that year: a brooch with three interchangeable images, all in a presentation box made by me, as were the brass catch and hinges. It is a testimony to urethane spray lacquer, that the brass is still fairly bright.

This has now been superseded by Lazertran http://www.lazertran.com/products/la...s_original.htm, a system for transferring any photographic image directly onto almost any surface and fixing it in a domestic oven. But when I was asked recently, whether I would like to take part in this new project, I politely declined. Been there, done that, more or less. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pi. Interchangeable pictures.jpg   pi. Picture broach Presentation.jpg   pi. Reverse Of Box.jpg  

Wow, Dennis, this is brilliant! How interesting. Was the image printed on a special paper/with special inks?

I love the box Dennis!

Yes, it's the box that caught my eye as well. Superb!
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

the box is so dinky!

Quote Originally Posted by lilia View Post
    Wow, Dennis, this is brilliant! How interesting. Was the image printed on a special paper/with special inks?
    That's the rub really, lilia, we just used plain paper and a lazer printer. You can't get a reputation for fighting with your teacher, but I did on the sly use spray fixative to improve durability. Even so it has mainly lived in my box of dead projects all this time.

This time round with Lazertran the students were given offcuts of white enameled steel, from kitchen splash backs and I was more impressed with the results, although it had to be set or cold connected. It also looks good over your own enamel, or on white metals. Dennis