Thread: This is probably a really daft question

Default This is probably a really daft question

My question is can I solder onto metal that has been etched, or is etching the last thing I have to do. I'm wondering about if the heat will affect any acid left on the piece, even though I do neutralise it afterwards.

I would gently anneal the etched metal in a well ventilated environment and burn off any acid residue, then pickle the annealed piece before fluxing and soldering.
    James

James' experience may be different, but I have made loads of etched silver buttons and after giving them a good wash, soldered jump rings onto the backs with no problem. There is still a set in use by my family ten years on. The only pain is that to clean them you need a button stick. Dennis.

I happily solder etched pieces I neutralise thoroughly with bicarb after etching, and then clean them before any further process, but haven't had any problems yet.

Most of my etching is done using ferric nitrate at the moment as I don't like using nitric acid indoors and it's too cold to work outside at this time of year, so that might be a good option.

Thanks everyone.

George I am using ferric nitrate too after reading the posts on etching in this forum, I was just too scared about using nitric acid. I'm loving the etched effects but I was worried about soldering on things like bails, but now that I know its ok I have lots more ideas!

Thanks everyone!

[QUOTE=mizgeorge;46260]I happily solder etched pieces I neutralise thoroughly with bicarb after etching, and then clean them before any further process, but haven't had any problems yet.

QUOT

What ratio of bicarb to water would I use to neutralise and do I need to boil the piece in a pan or would boiling water in a bowl be sufficient?

thanks xx
    Jules

I will get my oar in before George, but she may well have a different remedy. Because pickle residues can be irritant, I neutralise my work after the final pickling.
    You can use bicarb, but soda crystals from the supermarket are stronger and probably more economical as you get a lot for your money.
    A level teaspoonful in a glass if water is generous. I boil briefly if there are hollows or recesses for the solution to reach, otherwise just immerse in the hot solution. Then I rinse well again to get rid of the soda. Dennis.

I have yet to try any etching but am itching to have a go. I have made notes on the various threads relating to the process in the past so perhaps it is time to get my finger out and try it.

Same as Dennis, but I use bicarb. I buy mine in bulk though - the little pots from the baking aisle are ridiculously expensive.

Thanks George/Dennis. I've got both, but as soda crystals are cheaper, I'll stick with that for my next batch. Cheers.
    Jules